Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 May 2001
I strolled into London's Books for Cooks shop (the absolute best place on earth for talking about food, buying cookbooks and sampling some truly great food in the little cafe in the back). Had a chat with the chef, who was just beginning to ladle out some of her delicious Tomato, Lentil and Orange soup. I commented on the soup, saying it smelled fantastic. And she immediately pointed me in the direction of the Avoca Cafe Cookbook.
What a find. It's marvelous.
The recipes all sound great. And uncomplicated --- fresh, pure and freshly, purely innovative combinations. Highly recommended: Tomato, Celery and Apple Soup; Tomato, Lentil and Orange Soup; Soda Bread; the Potato and Rosemary salad; Potato and Celeriac Gratin and the Mediterranean Tart. Still many more recipes to go.
I LOVE this book.
on 2 May 2002
i got this book as a gift at Christmas when I was home visiting family in Ireland. i have made so many recipes from it and all of them have been really yummy - i would recommend the meatballs, fruit tiramisu, lemon tart, tomato, celery and apple soup. i liked it so much that I am ordering a copy online to send to a friend.
oh yes and the curry recipe is the best - the sauce is great as a veggie curry sauce too!
on 18 November 2000
I am an American that had been living in Dublin, Ireland for a year from April 99 - June 00. The Avoca Handweavers were just a few miles away. I frequented Avoca atleast once a week for tea and bisquits. The food is wonderful there. As I got ready to return back to the states - The Avoca Cafe Cookbook came out. It was my last purchase before returning home. It is a keepsake for me as I can now recreate my experiences of eating at the Cafe at home in the States. It is not only loaded with just about every recipe that you can eat at the Cafe but well presented with beautiful photos of the food and of Ireland. I would recommend this book to anyone who has experienced the beauty of Ireland and Avoca and anyone interested in just great food.
on 29 June 2001
I accidentally chanced upon this book while I was spending the weekend in Ireland and having lunch (which, incidentally, was great) at the Avoca Cafe in Dublin. I couldn't help but buying the book after setting eyes on it. The recipes seem so interesting and appealing. They look simple to make, yet sound original. The soup and the salads sections are amazing!I love the fact that all the ingredients are fresh and readily available. I would recommend it to anybody who is interested in eating (and cooking)good, genuine food. It's truly brilliant!!!
on 28 July 2003
This book contains some great (ranging from traditional Irish to modern fusion and easy peasy to more challenging and time-consuming) recipes that I resort to whenever I'm having a party or need to cater for larger groups, an advantage which also proves to be a major disadvantage when you're cooking for a more intimate group, the mental effort of having to divide a lot of the recipes has just put me off trying them at all. It's not often the average dinner-party cook will have to make a chocolate mousse for 12 or a salmon terrine for 18, as for the industrial quantities of the majority of the biscuits and deserts, nice though they may be, you'll be thoroughly sick of them by the time you've got through them all (unless you have a major sweet tooth of course!). I fail to see the sense in giving a recipe for two loaves of carrot cake, wouldn't it have been better sense to just divide it in two? I find this is a mistake many "café-inspired" books make, and written as they are by professionals more used and able to perform cookery calculations than your average hobby cook, a particularly unforgiveable one. That said, it is worth buying for the compliments you'll get for glorious summer fruit tiramisù alone.
on 9 February 2002
The Avoca Cafes were initially started to provide somewhere for visitors to the Avoca Weavers in Wicklow to enjoy a cup of tea and slice of cake. They were so succesful that they are now dotted throughout Ireland. This is a book of recipes from the cafes. It is a bit like an Irish version of Cranks, with a large helping of wholefood. Although do not be fooled into thinking that this is just for veggies. It does contain a small number of meat recipes Many of the recipes are delicious, particularly such delights as sweet potato and lemongrass soup. My one disappointment is the relatively dated nature of some of the baking. I had hoped that nut roast had been consigned to the 90s. But otherwise a worthwhile addition to any cook's home library.
on 11 December 2009
This recipe book is among the best you can find. It's split into soups, salads, fish and chicken, meat, vegetable mains, breads, tea time and desserts, relishes and sundries. Each chapter has outstanding recipes but seriously you'll find you want to try them all. We eat our family meals from this book and entertain with it. The results are always delicious. The recipes are fresh, no fuss, fail safe and guaranteed to get everyone asking for seconds! Our house favourites are the salmon and leek tart, chicken and broccoli gratin, beef perpperpot,lakeshore pork, mediterranean lasagne, banana bread and the Avoca scones. Hmmmm
on 20 July 2009
I love cooking, and this is my favourite cookbook by far. Some of my favourite recipes are Nich's chicken curry which is great, the carrot cake is amazing and everyone loves it, the chicken and broccoli gratin is another amazing recipe, as is the beef and guiness stew. I am from N.Ireland and have been to the Avoca Cafe various times in Wicklow, and even though I'm living abroad its great to be able to have little luxuries with me such as my Avoca cookbook.
on 7 January 2011
This book has great healthy recipes for a range of cooking abilities. I have cooked about half the recipes from it and enjoyed each one.
on 9 May 2001
Move over cookbooks, Avoca is here ! I sought out this book after dining in Avoca handweavers after my first ever trip to Ireland. The book is simply wonderful, every recipe tried successful and delicious. You will not be disappointed if you enjoy food in its simplest form. The book is as hospitable and enjoyable as Ireland itself...buy it!!!!