Customer reviews

How to be an Artist
Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 February 2015
This is one of the best distributors I have encountered on Amazon.co.uk. I have bought 3 books from the same author at this store.
Mr. Michael Atavar is not just famous in what he teaches but he really is a great author. His teaching method is easy to follow and helps to open my eyes.
on 9 May 2016
I've just graduated university and I was struggling with 'How to be an artist' In the real world. But this book made me see things more clearly and feel more confident in what I was doing. Also the list of creative ideas thought out the book really helps with creative block.
on 6 October 2017
Great book to keep building your artistic aspirations, truly inspiring!
on 18 May 2014
Succinct, interesting, useful, interactive, can be dipped into, really helped me think clearly about my work. I don't usually like reading art books but this is one I have read more than once.
on 31 January 2017
must read.
on 31 August 2015
A real help for anyone in creative business - especially if you work alone.
on 2 May 2013
Great book. quick. Too the point and very enlightening, the design of the book is also reader friendly, minimalistic and short. If you want a quick interesting read that influences the way in which you think of yourself as an artist, this is the book for you!
on 15 May 2014
Bought this for my partner who is training as a sculptor at the moment - it is a lovely, inspired, practical book and a great handbook for the aspiring professional artist. It is also set out creatively so it is walks its talk in terms of type face and format.
on 13 December 2016
This book changed my life (after a lifetime of reading, that is credit I never thought I'd give a single book). I'd arrived at middle-age, having always wanted to be a writer without finding a form that inspired me. I took a year off at forty, determined to at least try and fail. Anything better than nothing. Bought this book & decided to trust it: What if I treated writing as art and forgot about novels, agents etc? Used a different game plan? Got my first year-long residency a year later - TV appearances, magazine & radio coverage - and only yesterday heard that I'm awarded an international & fully-funded residency for next years too (with another year-long engagement for 2018 close to sign-off). So I'm pretty much a lifelong supporter of this author's work: He really does embody what he writes about, and his perspective on how to make one's day to day life more generous & useful to others through creativity means it is of value to everyone - not only those like me who want to build a life in the arts.
review image
on 18 December 2011
Michael Atavar has long been an angel to struggling artists in his capacity as an arts officer attached to the Oval House Theatre. So it was a pleasant surprise to see him commit his wisdom to paper on the subject of how artists should develop their skills and keep them honed.

I had the book in my possession for all of two days, during which time I skim-read it, looking forward to a longer relaxed perusal and putting his advice into action, when a friend declared her intention to begin writing again. She was the obvious ideal reader of this book and so I gave her my copy as a way of ensuring she had someone holding her hand while she gained her confidence and got into her stride.

I'm now awaiting my second copy.