on 17 April 2001
This book touches upon what is today considered forbidden scientific territory, and no-doubt many will call the author a crazy crank. But let us not forget history here. A man called Wegener was made a laughing stock in his time, and his name became a pseudonym for "utter fool," all because he advanced the ( then ) absolutely absurd concept of continental drift. Ironically, this absurd theory that everyone knew for a fact was pseudo-scientific non-sense of the worst kind, is today one of the cornerstones of the modern scientific establishment. My point is the utter fools and total idiots of one generation, are ( sometimes ) the scientific geniuses and pioneers of the next generation. I could give many more examples - indeed scientific textbooks are replete with them, but you get the point.
It must be stated megafauna is a huge problem which no-one, and I mean no-one, in the mainstream wants to talk about. Which, to be honest, I see as somewhat scandalous. These guys are paid to research the truth as it were - its their full time job. Let me explain the problem by reference to birds. Firstly you need to know how a wing works and what makes planes fly. Do not worry, this is not at all difficult. The top part of a wing is curved, and the bottom part is flat. This means that when air arrives at the front edge of the wing, the air going over the top has to go further to get to the rear edge of the wing. Because the air has to go further in the same time - it must move faster. Because it is moving faster it is more spread out and less dense. Therefore air pressure above the wing is lower than below the wing. The wing is therefore 'pulled,' up, into this area of low pressure. Simple. Right. Now the lifting ability of a wing depends upon surface area and increases with the square. This is only two numbers are involved, width and length. However, the mass or weight of a bird depends upon three factors, width, length, and depth. So mass increases with the cube. Hence at some point as birds grow larger, because mass increases faster than surface area, beyond a certain weight flight becomes impossible for birds. In the modern word, this is around 30 pounds. If that number does not mean much to you, think of a Swan or other such large bird. I've seen Swans in parks, beyond all question they can barely get off the water. Now, the problem is in the fossil record we have not 50 pound birds, but 200 pound birds. We can see there is simply no way these massive 200 pound birds could ever get off their bellies in the modern world. And if you are wondering how passenger jets get off the ground given what I have just said - the answer is they use a vastly more powerful power unit called a jet engine, which drives the air over the wings much faster than any flapping motion ever could, vastly increasing the lift potential of the wings.
Look, I do not know if the earth has been expanding or not - but that is not the point here. The point is that there is a decent scientific case to be made for the theory, and it therefore merits discussion. If people were willing to talk about these issues more, we *MIGHT* actually get some answers. I am confident someday we will get definitive answers, one way or the other, but in the meantime, I guess this wonderful text is the best we have. I hope it brings forth the second generation of researchers this subject area so desperately needs.
8 people found this helpful