on 6 March 2014
I think this is such a brilliant , practical book, that I need to read over and over again . It's about how we can live a spiritual life without changing our conditions such as work etc externally but learn how to change internally and develop real peace and happiness . Wonderful ! The chapter on 'inner peace' sums up our lives perfectly !
on 17 September 2002
This is a book that, being a non-Buddhist, I found to be of great use in explaining some of the fundamental concepts of the tradition. Not only is the writer systematic is his approach, he is also very thorough whilst giving a broad understanding of the subject to the reader.
The author writes informatively about the Buddhist view of death and suffering and the true nature of human life. The main section of the book then, is based on daily practice and indeed how to transform your life, based on the profound concepts of the first couple of chapters. This involves discussion on why it is a good idea to cherish other people and also then, how to learn to cherish other people. Anger is a subject also covered in great detail and the chapters on it certainly help to put a lot of things into perspective. Towards the end of the book, there is also a short section on meditation, the reasons for it and how to begin practicing. From a beginner's point of view, I found this useful and easy to understand: it was very clear and also sympathetic to the difficulties of meditation!
I found the book precise in its explantion of the ideals of Buddhism and each point was reinforced with either ancient or modern-day logic. Actually it was so well written that at times it was almost as though the author was in the same room! His humour and warmth comes across in many places, which for such heavy subject matter, is important I feel.
Although the tradition behind the book goes back thousands of years, it's by no means a historical account. I would say it's a guide that can be read easily (and enjoyably) from start to finish, then referred back to at the reader's discretion as they become more involved in the practice of the tradition.
The book is intended to be used as a companion as you take steps to follow its message at your own pace.
I would recommend the book to people who are new to Buddhism and are looking for a comprehensive, well written discussion on the subject. The book does not patronize and doesn't overly use the ancient names/language that could have made it less accessible as a book. I know there are many books on Buddhism available at the moment, a few of which I have read, but I would have no hesitation in recommending this particular book to a relative newcomer to the subject. I thoroughly enjoyed it and hope that others will too.
on 15 March 2012
Over the years I have read many spiritual books, but I would have to say that Transform Your Life is undoubtedly up there with the best of them. It is written in a clear, direct style with lots of beautiful and easy to understand analogies. For example, I love the analogy of how at the moment we are a bit like a balloon in the wind, being blown here and there by external situations. When things are good and seem to be going our way, we're happy, however, when something happens, or goes wrong, we immediately become unhappy. Gesh-la's book teaches us how to develop a wise, strong mind that can deal with the difficulties of life. I also love how it is a book that seeks to go to the source of the problem - our mind. It teaches how our problems are not out there, but are rather caused by 'inner enemies' or delusions. By identifying what our actual problem is we can then do something about it, which Gesh-la's book articulately teaches us how to do. Almost all the book is easy to follow even though it is teaching some profound stuff. Basically we need to learn how to change the object of our cherishing from ourselves to all living beings! No mean feat! What's great though is that Gesh-la gives practical methods on how to accomplish this. So rather than just saying 'Love thy neighbour', he actually supplies you with the techniques to make this a possibility. This is a truly fantastic book that will change your life. Buy it, read it, and allow its wisdom to seep deep into your heart.
on 24 October 2001
Geshe Kelsang Gyatso has a rare gift for making these Buddhist teachings relevant to everyday living, and showing clearly and simply how anyone can put them into practice. I've been looking at Buddhism for years, but this book is something different - it has the ring of experience about it and a simplicity that makes it easy to try out these practices yourself in day to day life, without becoming a monk or a hermit. I would unhesitatingly recommend this book to anyone who, like me, has been trying to find a clear and practical approach to balanced and beneficial living, whether or not you're a Buddhist. I think the title isn't exaggerating - I've always thought these teachings are incredibly profound, but this book has shown me that I can actually practise them myself - truly amazing.
on 14 August 2011
Venerable Geshe Kelsang Gyatso is a fully qualified Buddhist Master, and this becomes immediately obvious when reading his books. Transform your life is both an excellent introduction to Buddhism and a fantastic review for the more experienced reader. No one, in my experience, explains the wonderful intricacies of Buddhist Philosophy in such a clear and simple way. This is a truly a masterful book that I feel very fortunate to have encountered. Top Rate!
on 29 February 2008
This is the best buddhism book i own, it fills your mind and heart with thought provoking words that can and will alter your life if you open your mind to Geshle's words-his explanations of seemingly diffucult to comprehend subjects, are conveyed easy to read and practice, as practice is the key to this book - excellent book
on 15 March 2013
I very much enjoyed this book, I know there is some people who are not convinced about the New Kadampa Tradition and I understandy why but still a good book with lots of interesting Dharma points.
on 21 November 2015
*AMAZON PREVENT FREEDOM OF SPEECH BY REMOVING REVIEWS/COMMENTS WITHOUT PROVIDING JUSTIFICATION*

This is a very good book that really does have the capacity to change your life for the better. It comes strongly from a Buddhist perspective, so those of this persuasion are likely to gain the most from this book. However this said, if you approach with an open mind your are likely to gain benefit no matter what your background. The author has written many books and this one is particularly good. Highly recommended.
on 4 July 2015
Knowing where to start in reading about Buddhism can be bewildering. There are so many books to choose from. In my view this is the best book to start with. It is readable and above all practical. It is designed to use not just to read. Geshe Kelsang stresses in all his books that Dharma is of little value it is seen just as academic knowledge. To be of benefit it needs to be put into practice. This book is suitable for the absolute beginner and will indeed transform your life.
on 9 September 2007
This book is a selection of Geshe Kelsang's writings taken from other extant books he has written .It is aimed at those who have little or no knowledge of Buddhism , but who might benefit from some of the teachings of the tradition , as such it is arguably an excellent 'self-help' manual for both buddhists and non-buddhists alike . This book contains advice and practices which could very possibly help some people overcome alcoholism , drug addiction and suicidal leanings due to to negative states of mind . Due to the fact that this book is also available as an audio C.D , it might therefore make an excellent gift even for those who are not capable of reading a book . In presenting us with these teachings in this way it is possible that Geshe Kelsang is the closest thing to a modern 'saint' that we have available to us today .