on 10 February 2016
A beautifully written book that will inspire me for the rest of my life. Yes, I am a meditator of many years. But, please understand, you do not need to be a Buddhist or a meditator or even the slightest bit religious to be inspired by this masterpiece of spiritual writing. I will read it and read it and read it again and each time I am sure I will get more and more from it.
on 20 January 2001
As in 'Eight steps to happiness' this wonderful author presents truly practical methods for improving compassion for those around us. Geshe Kelsang Gyatso shows us how we can weaken and ultimately overcome our habitual ways of negative and destructive thinking so we may find greater happiness in life. This master clearly speaks from the position of someone who has personally achieved all the teachings and discovered for himself their beauty. Also explains how what appear to be problems and difficulties can be transformed into causes for happiness.
on 12 July 2011
If you want to get your hands on some practical solutions for unhappiness then this book contains A LOT. It is a Buddhist text and that means it references things like past & future lives, prayer etc. Maybe you're interested in that stuff, maybe you're not. But I think everyone should read it for the sections on 'what is self cherishing' 'taking & giving' & 'transforming adverse conditions'. Buddhism is just inner science at the end of the day and if something is wrong in your life (ie, you're suffering') then it's time to look in your mind (where the suffering is) and learn how to fix it. Beautiful text.
on 21 June 2012
I bought this book a while back when looked into New Kadampa Buddhism, as they disapprove of one reading books written by anyone else than this author, their libraries contain only books by him, and only his books are taught in the classes. He is an organisation head that they think is an "enlightened being", their guru, and it's a kind of break-away "Buddhist" organisation who are growing in the West in a very un-Buddhist way. So first of all the problem is that the books come from that kind of background. Secondly, Buddhism is actually a useful and quite down to earth, maybe more philosophy than religion, and can relate well and clearly to real life, with no conflict with science etc. However, the author comes from a quite strange side of how to see Buddhism, in which it's all about worshiping deities and saying particular prayers, and saying things like that people used to have thousands of years long lifespans, etc. Buddhism does not have to be like this at all. It is more the quirk of the author and his organisation, so makes using this book to teach you real Buddhism a problem. Thirdly, a lot of points in the book do not make sense - for example, the way it's explained that a body cannot be a body because each part of the body is not a body, therefore the collection of them can't be. Much as the author seems to think he's made an interesting point, actually to many it would seems about as simple as that a there can in fact be a "herd" even though each cow isn't a "herd", it's because the word is a collective noun. What's being explained doesn't actually make sense or mean anything. On referring to the original texts they made total sense to me, yet this "explanation" was a confusing mess that made no sense. The reason for this I think, is that I get the impression the author doesn't understand Buddhism himself. There is so much more to Buddhism that is understandable, enlightening and makes total sense. Lastly, it's dull, robotic writing, with none of the usual lightness and joy of reading that many books about Buddhism offer. I would suggest pretty much any Buddhist author but this one.
1010 Comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 April 2013
Another good book by Geshe La but I have to say they repeat themselves now. Almost whole paragraphs are taken from other books.

I would like to see a new book from this man.
on 14 August 2011
Venerable Geshe Kelsang Gyatso is a fully qualified Buddhist Master, and this becomes immediately obvious when reading his books.
No one, in my experience, explains the wonderful intricacies of Buddhist Philosophy in such a clear and simple way. This is a truly a masterful book that I feel very fortunate to have encountered.