Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 July 2011
I bought this book quite a while ago but didn't really get going with it. I've read some of the author's other books and thought they were more substantial and better for me. More recently I've been really getting in to this book and I'm wondering why I didn't do it earlier. Let's be straight - everything in this book is Buddhist and that means if you're not Buddhist perhaps you won't agree with everything. But Buddhism is all based in observation of daily life and that means you're very likely, almost certain I would say, to find a lot in there that you can really use. It is written with the public at large in mind and it just makes sense. There's a brief but effective explanation of where happiness and suffering come from, a brief and highly accessible explanation of the Buddhist path in the form of 'the four noble truths', followed by an extensive explanation of how to identify and get rid of one of the main reasons our lives aren't peaceful: Anger (jealousy also gets a good treatment). Anger is identified specifically as being an out of control mind, and it is made clear being forceful doesn't necessarily mean you're angry. In fact it's shown that patience makes you stronger! Read this book slowly, not expecting a quick fix (no such thing), take what works for you and go back to the rest when you feel you want to. Anger is a deeply ingrained habit, changing it is a slow process, but this is a great handbook you can turn to repeatedly in making that happen. The relief from anger this book has helped me to gain (we've all got it going on - minor irritation can ruin your life!) is invaluable.
on 30 January 2014
This book really opens your eyes about yourself and the people around you. I am not buddhist but there is still a lot in here for people who are either interested or simply want to change the way they interact with other people and react themselves. For example, there is a lot about anger, jealousy, hatred, etc - issues which are covered with great detail and really opens your eyes and changes the way you act and react. It's fantastic and I truly enjoyed reading it.
on 16 October 2013
Wonderful book by a Buddhist Master. If you read this book and take it to heart it is true all your problems will be solved, it just takes a bit of effort to sit down read it and contemplate the meaning of this outstanding book.
on 14 August 2011
Venerable Geshe Kelsang Gyatso is a fully qualified Buddhist Master, and this becomes immediately obvious when reading his books.
No one, in my experience, explains the wonderful intricacies of Buddhist Philosophy in such a clear and simple way. This is a truly a masterful book that I feel very fortunate to have encountered.
on 12 March 2016
A must read for anybody who needs spiritual help in their daily lives.
I have read this book a few times and it always helps me through difficult times.
It helps you understand the difficulties people can face and a way to overcome them which can help anybody have a better quality of life mentally and spiritually.
on 10 November 2011
How to Solve Our Human Problems is one of those books that is amazing to stumble across. One day, even though I did not think I was angry about anything, I read this book with close attention - not like a novel. Then I recognized that maybe my unhappy day had something to do with what I was thinking about - what someone else had done to me. Then I tried some of the suggestions in the book. And guess what? Not only did it make perfect sense, but I began to see a difference in how I felt. I got quick relief from my uncomfortable mind. And isn't that what we all want anyway? If happiness and unhappiness both come from my mind - not from what someone else said or did, why not attempt to change my mind? Reading this book and trying some of the methods presented in it has changed my life for the better. Because of that, this book is priceless.
on 16 April 2016
not real biddhism more of a cult.. just been proven this group was funded for years by communist china to smear the name of hh the dalai lama.
had first hand experience of nkt and was not a good one.
read up on nkt survivors on google and read the horrer stories assoicated with nkt.
not even a real geshla as disrobed because of his belief he is the third biddha!!!????? he cannot be as i am the third buddha... no wait .... im batman🤓
on 23 February 2014
This book changed my life for the better . I go back to this book time and time again , it is my constant support through life from now on .
on 7 July 2012
I have found the advice in this book to be incredibly beneficial and thought provoking. It is helpful whether Buddhist or otherwise as it challenges us to adopt a different view to our problems with explanations that are both empowering and remarkably simple.

I found myself laughing out loud at the common sense approach that obliterates the conventional wisdom that anger is a useful energy. The author shows us how to handle every day situations in a way that is always positive and encourages us to take control of our mind, which is really the source of our problems in the first place.

Each time I pick it up and read it again chapters reveal new meaning and further wisdom. With an open mind this book could change your life and make you happier - what more could you ask!
on 4 March 2009
This book summarises what human problems really are, how they originate in the mind and how we can use Buddha's teachings to solve those problems by changing our mind. It's especially helpful for those who suffer from anger (all of us!) because Geshe Kelsang uses Buddhist Master Shantideva's explanation of how to practice patience to show clearly how this painful mind can be overcome.

These days there are lots of 'self help' books that purport to solve human problems, but with characteristic directness, this book goes straight to the heart of the issue and gives simple but practical advice to make things better. Considering that it contains so much wisdom, it's also surprisingly short and very readable. Recommended!