on 22 June 1999
"Rites of Passage" provides an insider's advice on how to navigate through the often uncertain waters of job-changing at the executive level. It should be distinctly understood that the book is intended for higher-level executives -- much of the advice in the book is unsuitable for lower and mid management career changes. I especially liked the well-developed idea that an executive should avoid being presented to a company with a price tag on her head (the recruiter's fee), and should attempt to make herself known directly, without "representation". This is a novel idea that makes sense after you read the book, and this one idea alone is worth the read.
Lucht details an effective plan to go directly to company decision makers for the top jobs. The plan is not presented as a faddish, magic wand technique, but as a no-nonsense "elbow grease" way to get noticed.
There are some problems with the book. First, job changing at all levels is in flux these days, largely because of -- you guessed it -- the Internet. You get the idea that Mr. Lucht was caught off guard by this new big thing. He devotes only a couple of pages, stuck disjointedly in the middle of the book, to online recruitment and job-posting, and nothing at all to how technology will affect the industry.
I would have preferred a more thorough going-over of the world of contingency recruiters, but since they find jobs for lower level managers, Mr. Lucht gives the contingency recruiters a light touch.
The book is odd typographically. For some reason, text in parenthesis is in a font that appears to be several sizes smaller than the regular text, giving the reader the impression that the typesetter just discovered font menus in Microsoft Word. The text often switches between bold and regular and italic, sometimes on the same page. My eyeballs at times were crying "enough already!"
Overall, however, I would recommend the book because it contains some powerful ideas, along with an understanding of the motivations and limitations of executive recruiters. "Rites of Passage" leaves you with the impression that you just got good advice on executive job hunting from a distinguished uncle, without having to feed him dinner.
on 27 March 1999
The other half is Yates' "Knock 'em Dead". With these two books a professional can cover the waterfront of a job search and get farther faster. Lucht's ideas may seem unconventional but they really work. The book is worth it even if all you do is read the parts about how recruiters work - it can save you much aggravation and heartache. If you want to get it done, you need these two books, maybe Kennedy's Directory of Executive Recruiters, friends, a Rolodex, an internet link, and that's it. Both of my children will receive this book as an early graduation gift when they are seniors in college,
on 25 June 2013
I was recommended this book but I was aware of possible ageing. It is still quite valid and I do not give 5 stars because there is a bit too much of its own website advertisement through the book. In any case still good.
on 5 June 1998
Lucht knows his stuff, and anyone looking to change jobs will benefit from his extremely objective suggestions and insight into recruitment.
I have 2 criticisms. The first is regarding the amount of space given to recruitment agencies. This is certainly a minefield for the uninformed, but 30% of the book devtoed to this subject is perhaps excessive.
The second is his use of language. There are many passages which I had to re-read a number of times in order to find out what he was trying to say. Very colloquial use of English can be (and in this case, is) confusing.
However, if you're looking for tips about beating the competition for a job, read this book; and pray your competition hasn't!
on 12 September 1997
I thought this book provided me a practical guideline when I decided it was time for me to change employers to move ahead with my career.

It gave me several things to think about (why was I making the change, why my new potential employer would think I was valuable (not why I thought I was valuable!), and what that value might potentially be.

With the recommendations in this book I was able to negotiate a fair and equitable contact. I passed my book onto a colleague who was able to do the same. I am now sending the URL to another friend who is thinking about a career change and is looking for guidance.

A solid primer for moving ahead in this competitive world.
on 29 July 1998
When I was considering leaving a position with a Fortune 100 company Rites of Passage helped me determine how to decide if the time was right to leave, what sort of thing to pursue, and how to assess the opportunities available. When I was negotiating compensation for a new executive position the book had outstanding advice on strategy and tactics. I have bought copies of this book for friends who were considering career changes and all of them have praised it and found it most useful.
on 26 August 1999
Out of work? Want a new job? Make a $100,000? This is the book for you. Searching for a job at the executive level is so radically different that you will kick yourself if you start your search before getting this book. It outlines a strategy, do's and don'ts and other references for the executive search. Use his features and tips from writing the executive resume, interview basics for an executive, to the wording for a contract.
on 7 April 1997
Tremendous insight is provided in this book, which is rapidly becoming a classic. It let's you know when you should work with headhunters, and when you shouldn't, and what limitations you might want to put on them. Less theoretical than most, Lucht provides a clear plan for how to change jobs.
Whether you're above $100k today, or just on your way, this is a must read. Don't speak to another headhunter until you've read it.
on 1 December 1997
This is a step by step accounting of what not to do and what to do based on Lucht's perspective and 20 years of recruiting experience. I really appreciated the tips that he provided from resume/cover letters to questions that might be posed during an interview to how to negotiate the contract. A must read for middle and senior level executives. Facts contained in this book that can benefit all readers.
on 27 July 1996
On of the best all around guides for managing the job hunting process for senior executives.
Clear, consise, well written, direct and to the point. No BS to wade through. All practiable usable advice and guidance.
Even the page layout and typesetting style is great to deal with. That alone draws you in. I took the book out from my local libary
and am going to get my own copy so I can mark it up.