Customer reviews

on 6 March 2003
After 13 years since I read this book for the first time, it still remains one of my favorites. I find it so dense of deep meanings, and so pleasant to read, that every now and then I'm still captured to read a chapter here and there, when I happen to have it in my hands. I will try to describe it in a few lines, despite that a comprehensive review of the book would require much more effort, which such a masterpiece would certainly deserve.
It is an outstanding philosophical and psychological novel, fresh and humoristic, but deep and contemplative at the same time, that deals with the theme of 'identity'. It develops concepts that foresee our contemporary sensibility so well, that after almost a century their validity is perfectly unchanged.
Reality is illusory, relative and subjective, and always becomes the expression of personal interpretations. Communication is made out of subjective distortions, of standardized definitions through 'labels' that are attached to persons and situations. And the characters built by these labels end up by having their own lives, in the projection of our ego in the perception of the others, as well as in our occasional will to become what the others want us to be.
But our identity is fluid, in a 'continuous becoming'. It cannot be made still, in a definition, if not at the price of losing its dynamic character, or even its transitory reality. Such lack of identification leads each of us to become, in the end, absolutely alone, with our own misperception of ourselves, unknown even to ourselves.
It is a 'cerebral' writing, full of contorted but still delicious meditations that give the reader the chance to recognize himself into the main character of the novel, "Vitangelo Moscarda". The style is however bright and colorful, at times able to admirably convey inner sensations in the description of certain landscapes, at times so immediate and simple in the use of humor and comicity, to effectively entertain the reader throughout the book.
on 8 March 2013
If you're struggling with any questions of self, this will probably just confuse you more or raise more questions, but it's a great read with wit and depth.
on 29 February 2016
I've read this book in my teens, it made a huge difference in the way I have aproaced my inner self and the others. I have ordered it again and will read in the original language. Pirandello always been one of the top Italian authors. Great book for those who lack self esteem..
on 1 October 2016
what can i say.. I love Pirandello! this is a must read
on 26 November 2015
Loved it!
on 14 July 1998
This book is something you must read if you feel like people don't understand you. You must read this book when you think your friends know you. This is a book one must read alone, in a room, in front of a mirror - you'll be trying to catch yourself in the mirror as others see you.
on 5 March 2003
Reality is illusory, relative and subjective, and becomes the expression of personal interpretations. Communication is made out of subjective distortions, of standardized definitions, of labels that are attached to persons and situations, and that end up by having their own lives in the projection of our ego in the perception of the others, but also, sometimes, in our will to become what the others want us to be.
But our identity is fluid, in a continuous becoming. It can not be made still in a definition, if not to the price of losing its dynamic character, or even its transitory reality. Each of us becomes, in the end, absolutely alone, with his own misperception of himself, unknown even to himself.
It is a 'cerebral' writing, full of contorted but still delicious meditations, which give the reader the chance to recognize himself with the main character of the novel, "Vitangelo Moscarda". The style is however bright and colourful, at times able to admirably convey inner sensations in the description of certain landscapes, at times so immediate and simple in the use of humor and comicity, to effectively entertain the reader throughout the book.
on 26 December 2009
This is such a great way to shop, you order, pay your money, you get a delivery date and yes it comes when they say. Thanks very much for helping to make this a stress free Christmas