Customer reviews

on 15 July 2000
I am a European Military Historian and have just finished reading this book and am tempted to read it again. In my whole college career, I never read a more fact filled stirring account of Nazi Germany and the Hitler youth. I will most assuredly have my future history classes read this book as it is filled with insights that are very hard to come by.
on 5 June 1998
Heck was a member of the Hitler Youth. This is simply his story of his activities and shows how pervasive Hitler was in the lives of Germans and German boys in particular. Don't be turned off by the title, it is meant to show how they felt then not how the author feels now. This is a great primary source.
on 16 July 2015
A magnificent and highly readable book by former Hitler Youth leader Alfons Heck. You can procure several similar books of this ilk, but I doubt you will read a better example than this. I could not put this down from start to finish, and of particular merit is the sheer honesty of the author, which is another reason why I can recommend this title very strongly.
on 24 February 2017
This is one of the best non-fiction books I can attest to reading. It reads like a novel with a devastating and heart-breaking ending. Told in a brutally honest way, Alfons tells the story thats never spoken about, it's from the perspective of a teenager in Nazi Germany who dreams of the grossdeutschland. As I remember quote in a documentary about how Hitler Youth members coughed up their parents after speaking against the Fuhrer. "How can you explain that? Only that Hitler grabbed us so young, and never let go."