on 21 February 1998
I've been reading about veganism for the past 10 years, and I have to say that Erik Marcus's book is one of the best! The information is current (90s) and compelling. It is extremely well written. Compelling, yet not preachy, Erik tells the facts through glimpses into the lives of people and animals who have had a first-hand view of what goes on in the food industry. His book also brings up the interesting issue regarding public lands that are rented out to ranchers. This is a MUST read book for any human being--omnivore or vegetarian. If you like this book, you may also enjoy any of John Robbins' or Victoria Moran's books. The only drawback? We never get Erik's recipe for his fabulous cashew pizza!
on 19 June 1998
I have been vegan for over 5 years and have come across many informative books, leaflets, phamphlets and articles that reveal the truth of the matter; Vegetarian/veganism is a non-issue. This book is a successful attempt to gather all the angles into one format. The only things I would improve would be to add more quotes from historical figures, add the "famous Vegetarian and vegan list", and add some physiological/ anthropological evidence to reveal our true dietary predisposition--herbivorous. The best book on the subject to date.
on 4 December 1997
This is a great book! Erik Marcus presented the book at a local store, and was wonderful! Vegan: The New Ethics of Eating outlines the health, envinronmental, and compassionate reasons for living a life free of all animal products. I have eliminated dairy and eggs from my diet (the meat's been out long ago), and I feel great! And I love knowing that no animals suffer and die because of my diet.
on 15 December 2013
All i can say is that this book is amazing, written in a straightforward manner that grips you and enlightens you. It changed me from a young navie kid to an aware adult. It talks not only about the effect of current society living on our health but on the consequence to animals/earth. He put it it in logical, easy to understand way which was quite moving too. I never felt talked down to or that you HAVE to be this way, just that this is the current state of things and this is what you can do. This book has been with me for ten years and it will journey with me the rest of my life because it is brilliant, its not one to miss at all!
on 5 February 1999
Give a copy of this book and "Slaughterhouse" by Gail Einitz to everybody you love. It will save lives, both human and animal.
on 16 February 1999
Most books about vegetarianism or veganism are simply cookbooks that skirt the important issues about our choices of diet. Yet, most people would still have the question of Why? "Vegan" gives the answer. With up-to-date research, celebrity profiles and activist literature, it reveals the hidden truths about the Standard American Diet and provides the foundation for ethical consistency. "Vegan" together with "May all be Fed" are staples in the library of the ethically conscious.
on 28 April 1999
This book is really awesome, especially for a person who is interested in becoming a vegan. If everyone read this book they would think twice about what they stick in their mouths. Animal liberation!!!! Eight billion are killed every year in the U.S. E-mail me fellow vegans!!
on 14 February 2014
What a wonderful book, i've learnt so much that even as a vegan I never knew about! It is written in an easy to understand manner and truly informative!
on 30 November 2013
lifting the lid on the food and agricultural industries, which can be applied to most western countries, everyone has a right to read this!!
on 26 June 2015
Beautifully written, would recommend to anyone. Lending the book to as many people as I can to spread insightful information.