on 31 May 2015
As a new sewer I was, for a while, delighted by my creations, however flawed and ill fitting. After the first flush of pride wore off I realised that most of what I made didn't actually fit very well, so I bought this book to learn more about fitting. The book is very good indeed. The plentiful illustrations on a genuinely wide range of body types help you to visualise the instructions, and the commentary is entertaining as well as informative. I think you need a little bit of experience to understand all the points, and you might want to practice the techniques on a trial piece of fabric to see how you get on. Most of the alteration is done on the paper pattern before you even pin it to the fabric, and this is supplemented with 'pin fitting' to the fabric as it is draped on the body. It would probably be easier to do if you have someone to work with, but with a mirror and determination you will probably get there. Highly recommended.
on 31 March 2008
An awful lot of information given on how to get a good fit. It has been an eye opener to read. How nice to use people who are the REAL shape in every day life and not a standard model with pin tucks hiding the badly hung garment in typical catalogue pictures. One does need help to do these fittings and this may be my problem to enable me to use this book fully. I can only agree with others opinions here and no matter what size you are this book should be in your collection.
on 2 April 2014
A really down to earth and practical book. When I first started to sew, I knew nothing about altering pattern pieces. I just used them as they were. Some fitted well, others got thrown out. I never imagined that so many alterations could be made, fine tuning the pattern into a custom fitted one. I now feel much more confident about sewing clothes - which is just as well, as both the patterns and the fabrics have become so expensive now.
on 1 October 2012
This book should be required reading for anyone who sews their own clothes. It explains why patterns don't always fit properly and shows how a few small adjustments can produce flattering and well fitting garments. If I'd had this well illustrated book when I was at college, I would have understood why even carefully drafted patterns sometimes don't behave as we would like and I wouldn't have needed to toil over toiles in fruitless attempts to get things right.
on 2 May 2010
I purchased this book last year..I came across it after searching for books on the subject of fitting here on Amazon. I'd been having dressmaking lessons for a year and though I was sewing well...none of the garments I made from patterns seemed to fit okay!
Well all I can say is this book has transformed my projects. I've learnt how to do a 'tissue fitting', correct bust measurement and do a 'full bust adjustment'. So now clothing fits me around the shoulders and bust. I've also learnt about doing a 'swayback' adjustment, as swayback is something I've had since a child..now my skirts and dresses sit okay on me. As a result I've now made a winter coat, dresses and skirts that all FIT ME (and I love them)!:-) There are loads more adjustments too for things like one hip higher than the other, hunched back and different body shapes. The authors also show you how to increase of decrease the size of patterns (handy for vintage patterns).
If you want to pick up a sewing pattern and know that your finished garment will fit you really well..buy this book.
on 4 July 2016
This book is absolutely brilliant. I can't stop reading it - even taking it home from work at night (I run a sewing school). I've been pattern cutting all my life but have only got into fitting normal figures (eg large bust, tummy, tall, hunchback, big arms, no bust etc) in the last few years through the school (Sew In Brighton sewing school) and this book both confirms stuff I've been doing and teaches simple new ways.
I also recommend their video for Big Busted women as it's nice to see Marta show some of her methods live.

If you make clothes and have a less than 'perfect' proportions buy this book now!
on 5 February 2010
This book was a revelation. I have been dressmaking for over forty years and used to find standard patterns satisfactory. However, my measurements have gradually changed and clothes I made did not fit as well as I would have liked. Reading this book, I realised that I made the mistake of choosing a pattern in the size of my largest measurement, which meant that it was too big everywhere else.

Both the instructions and the diagrams are clear and easy to follow, and it is encouraging to see the results on real people of different shapes and sizes. I am now in the process of sewing myself a whole new wardrobe of clothes, with no more of those not quite right garments that end up at the charity shop.

This has to be the best book available on the subject
on 9 November 2009
Thank you for sending this so quickly. The second edition is a great improvement upon the first, though I have used the first for some years now.
on 23 January 2013
Book not as good as I hoped it would be gives you a lot of idea's for altering a garment which is good but you have to fit it with the paper pattern on yourself which l found difficult, could do with a friend to help in this step, So l just did what l could from their idea's and managed to size up and not perfect but was pleased with result.
on 24 June 2016
This is the first book I have seen that does not just make clothing for "stick insects". It allows for lovely clothes to me made for people of ALL sizes, taking into account their preferences for the bodice, and skirt shapes. It also considers the age of the people, they can make modern clothes that fit, and are suitable for all ages. Older people, like myself, have a better choice, instead of having to buy "frumpy clothes".