on 30 May 2003
This is an absolutely wonderful book.Being a professional taylor myself I thought I knew all the tricks of the trade.It is absolutely lovely to find new techniques that can improve your skills. This book is easy to understand and have really good illustrations, and even non-professionals can with this book add magnificent details to their clothing.
on 8 February 2007
I am not a professional in any way but I have found this book wonderfully inspirational. I have successfully cut out a bias skirt using no pattern just following the advice given for cutting on the bias and how to cut out ruffles that hang rather than stick out also using the circle and bias techniques. Currently I am working on a skirt which started out as an A line pattern but is now a slim fitting gored skirt with godets also a technique in this book. It does not contain step by step instructions more an understanding and information on how to. Perhaps not a book for beginners but certainly useful for anyone who can cut out and assemble clothes competantly and want to advance from basics.
on 19 May 2010
I bought this book after reading Amazon reviews. The text is great with good explanations. As a previous reviewer noted, it is not a book for complete beginners; some sewing experience is necessary. The dresses pictured to illustrate various techniques are technically good..stylistically, however, very 80s. For this reason, I did not find the images inspirational, although I must stress that I do appreciate the workmanship, to the point that I almost think I like some of them!

Chapter 10 is devoted to darts and I found it particularly useful.

My criticism of this book would be it could do with some minor updating and I would have liked to see chapters specifically on how to handle different fabrics. It is clear from the fabrics used in the dresses pictured that the author clearly knows what she is doing!
on 12 June 2010
I bought this book after reading the reviews. All true. Technically good, giving a good background of couture and opening up the secrets. It shows good illustrations of how you can achieve certain couture looks and even a Dior rose !

The only negative point I would say is the couture garments on display in the book are not upto date but these do not detract from the contents of the book.
on 23 October 2010
I feel this is the best sewing book I purchased so far.It is quick to consult at a glance (for those who do not sew all types of garments very often like me), lots of illustrations and hints. a real bible.
on 17 April 2013
I think I shall find this book useful as it has very clear instructions. It is very 1980's but this doesn't matter as the couture methods covered remain the same whatever you are making. The author writes in quite a corny, gushy style which is slightly irritating but it's still a good book with lots of information.
on 21 September 2014
The author is obviously passionate about sewing. This book is full of details and clear instructions. Some of the methods seem very time consuming but, for the couture finish well worth it. Really nice book.
on 4 July 2014
I have bought Couture Sewing from Claire Shaeffer and this from Roberta Carr, I really like more this one. Easy to read and understand, that's is my point of view. The pictures are not step-by-step but I didn't need them, the explanations are easy to follow and the picture just reinforce the technique. The explanation about Darts, I love it, I am not a pro sewer but I like sewing its my passion, I want to learn to have better finish in my clothes, so, this is for me the first book to pick each time I need to apply a couture technique.
on 8 December 2016
Refined techniques , useful in order to go further tant beginner state. A must-have!
on 3 January 2015
Not quite enough detail on how to do the small things necessary for couture work