Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now

on 14 October 2003
It is a great shame that English lessons at school provide such an inadequate tuition in the ways of the grammar of - for most people - their mother tongue. I'm referring to the usage of such things as articles and transitive and intransitive verbs, different past tenses etc. which an understanding of would greatly aid any student of a foreign language trying to get to grips with new grammatic techniques.
This book provides the remedy to all those wishing comprehend their own grammar in order to master that of the french language. It contains many examples of English grammatical usage along with a thorough comparison with the French equivalent, explaining the differences between the two.
My only criticism of this book would be that there could have been more activities and exercises to help consolidate all that readers will undoubtedly learn and learn well.
0Comment| 98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 December 2005
A really helpful book for those whose grasp of English grammar is rather 'woolly'. It is an invaluable aid for those who, like me, are using a self teaching language package as it explains clearly the structure of both the English and French languages.
on 30 September 2013
having forgotten the intricacies of the English language I learned at school I struggle with French grammar.
however, this book is easy to dip in and out of, it doesn't overwhelm with information & is a good reference book.

its quite small which makes it easy to carry around or to class for reference.

there are study tips as well, to help to consolidate/remember the information presented.
I have many other grammar books, but they are large, uncomfortable to hold for long & definitely not so portable.

however, information from different sources can sometimes iron out a sticky point.

would certainly recommend this book for anyone struggling with the grammar English/French.
on 6 February 2013
At last a grammar book which I can understand. I have realised that I cannot understand French grammar, if I do not have a reference for similar concepts in English. I used to struggle with the terminology in grammar books, never mind the concepts but this book is enabling me to understand the English, so I am slowly coping with the French. I would recommend it to anyone who also missed out on formal English grammar tuition.

It is not a huge heavy weight book but easy to dip in and out of. I have taken it into my French class and now my teacher recommends it to her students!
on 25 October 2010
This book is definitely the most helpful book that I have ever purchased. Before I bought it, I knew the difference between a noun, a verb and an adjective. That was not enough to help with my French lessons. This book sets out all the different parts of grammar, compares them to how they are used in French, and gives examples. There is also a set of questions and answers to download from the website in order to practise what has been taught. The book was expensive but well worth the money.
on 4 July 2012
I have found this book extremely useful. I have got by on basic French for many years but my work recently has required that I up the standard. I had completely forgotten the grammar that I had learnt at school beyond the basics and this book has proved a gem. I can thorougly recommend it.
on 11 April 2013
I am doing a french language course by skype and this book is great at explaining terms of grammar I had forgotten. It explains and gives clear examples of english and french grammar. So, if like me, you've forgotten what "past participle" means in English, let alone french, then this is the book for you!
on 24 April 2012
As a student of French, I have found this book to be most useful. It is clearly laid out and the explanations make sense. I would recommend it for any student of the French language.
on 25 March 2013
Was recommended this and thought I'd try. Actually it is a fascinating read, clarified a couple of English grammar points, and definitely aids learning French - particularly if you are one of those who needs to understand the reason for something, before you simply learn it!
on 28 December 2012
This book is brilliant, it really enhances my studies by giving me a greater depth of understanding,and the ability to make a comparative study is good for my English as well