on 13 January 2002
This is easily the clearest book I have read on the subject of alchemy. There are others which are more beautiful, with colour photographs of original engravings, but I have found most of them are too detailed and over academic. I like the way each chapter introduces an alchemical process with an original engraving from the Book of Lambsprinck,copied rather than photographed,by a modern artist. A poem from the early work helps to explain each picture.For example,the dragon introduces Negredo, a dark state which is linked clearly to depression, and the authors give suggestions on how to move forward to the next stage. Linking psychological processes to each stage is clear and useful.When I studied this strange subject during my transpersonal psychotherapy course, I would have welcomed this book which would have made the subject far more comprehensible to me. It goes into enough depth to show how studying alchemy links clearly to Jung's concepts of unconscious processes and the way to individuation. The authors recommend meditating on the engravings, which took the artist seven years, because they can have a transformative effect. Alchemy is after all, magic. I highly recommend this book.
on 1 September 2010
this book is informative AND clearly written. the ideas/process is well presented in an engaging manner. each chapter providing MUCH food for thought :)