Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 April 2017
Frank Miller's Experimental Art and writing at its finest.
on 2 September 2017
is fantastik.
on 17 November 2011
So far I have read all the 'Sin City' books and '300' by Frank Miller, and while I enjoyed them I still found faults. Yes the art is incredible and definitely stylish, but for me there seemed to be more effort in the style and the art than story, and both seemed a little ruined by the over-the-top masculinity present in the misogyny of 'Sin City' and the heroics of '300'. Both were original yes, but also somehow cliched. 'Ronin' was the book that finally proved to me that a genius was at work.
I couldn't help noticing that there were strong similarities between 'Ronin' and the TV cartoon 'Samurai Jack' which was an enjoyable and original show but didn't run as deep or dark as 'Ronin' did. Yes I felt at times the artwork of 'Ronin' could be improved, particularly the ancient Japanese scenes at the beginning, and some of the characters could have been designed better, particularly the demonic villain Agat, whose appearance I feel could have been even darker. There are also still some Miller cliches present, such as romance. Apart from these minor faults, however, I was blown away. The almost poetic story of a masterless but honourable samurai being sent to a nightmarish future to battle a demonic enemy went to depths and complexities I never imagined or expected, helped by a shocking twist and characters who keep surprising you and forcing you to change your perceptions of them. Featuring themes of dreams, technology, science, horror, psychology and violence, this is sci-fi of the highest order. I read that Miller was influenced by manga during his period of making this comic, and I definitely felt undertones of Akira. The plot also reminded me of 2001, Carrie and Mad Max to name a few sci-fi/horror favourites. The futuristic world is genuinely imaginative, scary (thanks to your usual host of unpleasant degenerates which you find in any dystopia)and impressively drawn, especially the scenes featuring an all-powerful 'living' computer which takes centre stage of the story and physically grows to engulf the future city. Miller's drawing of future technology is almost poetic. I'm glad he drew this story rather than some other bland, cliched sci-fi/comic artist, who wouldn't have had the original, quirky, and charmingly imperfect style of Miller. Nevertheless, the artwork thankfully does nothing to downplay the impact of this dark, powerful and truly imaginative masterpiece. Possibly one of the best comics I've ever read. I highly recommend if you want your senses and mind blown by this kinetic tale, successfully blending complex themes with action. I am now seriously considering reading the Dark Knight!
on 8 February 2016
Another great read from Miller. Not as good as his Daredevil stuff, or year one Batman, but still an enjoyable read. Lots of cool sci-fi ideas and interesting moments, but the overall story doesn't coalesce and (I'll be honest) I got totally lost at times. I still enjoyed it though and let's be clear: even Miller's sub-par work is superior to most writers' best efforts. There's some weird moments, but 90% of Ronin is fabulous and that's enough for me to recommend it.
on 26 June 1998
I often reread this superb book. The artwork is of the finest calibre, and the story line is brutally effective and subtle in the extreme. It leaves you guessing at the end, and in my case mildly hoping. Combines all the subject matter of a good science fiction story along with that of anexcellent and unusual psychological thriller. Definitely Millers best, if least acclaimed work.
on 17 January 1997
Probably the most unappreciated of Miller's work, "Ronin" is nevertheless one of his greatest achievements. It was originally shunned by many because of its wild combination of art styles and overall departure from Miller's typical work, but it is this uniqueness that makes it so memorable. Miller creates a convincing, if unrelentingly brutal, vision of the future, and fills it with strong characters you'll never forget. The story unravels in a fascinating way, as the reader realizes that nothing in the story is what it appears to be. I won't spoil it for you--just read the thing. You don't even have to be a Miller buff to enjoy it--any fan of good science fiction will find this one hard to put down.
on 26 January 1999
Haunting and and disturbing, Ronin goes from formal horror to the hopelessly comic and has a twist ending that kept me guessing until the very last page. This is one of the best graphic novels I have read. It is easily on the same level as Kingdom Come and The Dark Night Returns.
on 15 July 1999
If you like science fiction and suspence all in the same book along with japanese characters then you have got to read Ronin. Like Millers other masterpiece "Batman:The Dark Knight Returns" it has the same artwork and depth. Even though Mr. Millers artwork doesn't come close to that of someone like Chaep Yaep, the story more than makes up for it. In the tradition of "Akira" it combines Japanese cultue with a futuristic prescence. If you liked "Dark Knight" you'll love Frank Millers' "Ronin".
on 1 July 2016
For some reason,I delayed buying this,and kept doing so.Seeing it at a fair price,deluxe(always a lure for me,deluxe),I bought it.And am glad I did.I was hoping for the Sin City type art which I loved,but this is a different style,influenced,I imagine,by Manga(but not your doe eyed child like characters).It took me awhile to like the style,but the story is fairly original(to me,at least),and drew me in.I would imagine any Daredevil lovers of the Miller period can appreciate this,reminded me of those Stick/Hand days of Matt Murdoch a little,or perhaps I should say "recalled" them,to be more accurate.Well,better late than never,as the saying goes,and it is,on a personal level,better than the Dark Knight Returns.Many, many praise that,of course,but it failed to grab me.Still fails,but that's just me.I'm still an admirer of Lanky Frankie,with Sin City,I think,his outstanding work.But I love noir crime,so it's understandable I think so.I digress,though,Ronin is a good,absorbing read,samurai/mystical/sf blended to perfection.
on 11 February 2003
Before "The Dark Knight Returns' Frank Miller turned up with this, his 'second' greatest work. A tale of japanes demons, science barely under control, sacrifice, greed, nobility, weakness and ultimate triumph.
I don't mean to come over all Homeric but this work is a GRAPHIC NOVEL , where the art, Miller's own and truly distinctive ,is fully comlementary to the superb dialogue and the characterisations of both major and minor figures. From the opening sequence in ancient Japan - and oh how powerful that is to the near future, with nearly -omniscent and disturbingly human computers - Miller does not put a pen-stroke wrong.
And I use the words "disturbingly humen" advisedly as the main computer is more humane than many of the characters with souls.
A disturbing vision of the future? A disturbing vision of humanity much more.