on 21 August 2014
Another one in full colour illustrations and the accent is on having as much play together as you can in order to encourage your child with more challenges in learning to speak, gives you the stages of learning to speak that you can recognise and gives you the easy way to help your child take the next step. Importantly, helps parents recognise what their child is trying to 'say' in the non-verbal ways, and at one-word stage, etc. Helps keep communication lines open, which is the main point.
2 people found this helpful
on 26 May 2014
It is very useful book for the special needs, and arrival was on time. I am reading in the meantime.
One person found this helpful
on 14 October 2016
Perfect, as described. A really good book to help understand and create strategies for a child that has a speech and language delay — I bought this for my son who is three-years-old with autism.
One person found this helpful
on 2 May 2016
Good book
on 27 August 2015
Just what was needed
on 25 June 2013
I bought this book for my daughter to use to help my 3 year old grandson who has been diagnosed as mildly autistic, due to his inability to talk. It was on a recommendation from a Speech Therapist, and initially I thought it an expensive experiment and did hope it would work. It is a very uncomplicated but exceptionally helpful book and worth the price. In a very short space of time following the advice in the book, my daughter heard my granson call her "mummy" for the first time. His speech has come on tremendously and his vocabulary is expanding every day, just to see his face light up when you "get" what he is saying is a dream come true. He has gained confidence in his ability to communicate and we no longer have as many of the meltdowns which were caused in the main by his frustration at not being able to communicate with us. I would advise anyone who is having problems of this nature with a child, to consider buying this book, as we have found it very helpful.
14 people found this helpful
on 28 October 2009
I ordered both Learning Language and Loving It and It Takes Two to Talk. I highly recommend both books and found them very useful. My 3 year old son's speech therapist spoke highly of the Hanen method and recommeded that I read It Takes Two to Talk. I am so glad, however, that I ordered both books because I found the more extensive discussion in Learning Language and Loving It to be very useful.

Learning Language and Loving it is directed to preschool teachers who are interested in supporting the language development of their students, while It Takes Two to Talk is focused on parents. However, Learning Language and Loving It contains most of the information included in It Takes to To Talk and much much more! An important part of learning to talk is speaking with one's peers and for speech delayed children this can be very difficult. Learning Language and Loving It gives tips on fostering peer interaction and has an extensive discussion on this topic. The book also includes information on different speaking styles of children, the stages of early speech development and how to help children best navigate through those stages. It includes useful information for more stages of speech development than It Takes Two to Talk (It takes Two focuses on the earliest stages including language discovers, early communicators, first words users, and combiners, while Learning Language expands the discussion to include early sentence users and later sentence users).

It Takes to To Talk is a great book and I recommend it. However, if you are interested in doing all you can to support the needs of a speech delayed child, I recommend that you also consider Learning Language and Loving It (another Hanen Method book).
35 people found this helpful