on 20 March 2014
When you drop the D-bomb on your kids there is an empty silence that this book managed to fill. We were able to move on from that hideous conversation to a simple story about a bear who didn't understand either. I was able to point to pictures of how I felt and she pointed to pictures of how she felt too. Dad was able to get involved too and we were able to express our sadness as a family. This was happening to all of us. If you're considering buying this book, may I say how sorry I am that this has happened to you too.
on 16 July 2017
Story to long for a small child
on 29 February 2016
A great book to introduce divorce to a child whose parents have split. Heartbreaking to have to read this book to my granddaughter but it helped us to discuss a day when feelings could be talked about and checked like Koko bear does. Mama bear in the first page looks a bit masculine and it made it hard for her to decipher which one was which but later on Mama bear is in a skirt.
on 29 June 2004
Sadly I am going through a divorce and find myself in the unusual position of being a single dad to 3 wonderful children the youngest of whom is a 7 year old girl.
This child had some difficulty in understanding what was happening and why. "Its Not Your Fault Koko Bear" explains in terms that she could understand what was happening to her family. We particularly liked the analogy of the family as a jigsaw, a concept I will use again and again.
She is now much more comfortable with the process as a whole and understands that mum and dad still love her and its ok to love the departed parent.
Please buy this book if you have confused shildren in this age range, if its the only book you buy on the subject.
11 Comment| 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 March 2006
My daughter is 4 and her dad and I seperated about 2 years ago now. She's had a hard time, especially just recently as her dad is due to remarry, she has a new step-family and I am now in a new relationship. The poor love had a head full of questions she didn't understand and a heart full of sadness and worry that she didn't know how to deal with. She just didn't seem to know where she fit in anymore. This book is both moving and reassuring and is always on show in my daughter's bedroom. She thought she had done something really bad and thought I would leave her too. After reading Koko (a few times) she told me that she isn't alone after all, that Koko feels the same too and that it's OK to feel as she does and that it's all going to be OK. She now freely asks my partner and I and her dad and his partner questions whenever she is worried or upset. This is definately a "must buy".
on 6 March 1999
This book is an excellent tool to pave the way for discussions on an extremely difficult subject. While it is suggested for older children, it certainly is appealing to younger children. Most helpful is the text for the parent, shown on each page, explaining the difficult emotions that children feel when their parents are divorcing. For the child, it presents divorce in a realistic way, and validates the confusion, fear, and anger so prevalent in children of divorcing parents.
This book is a "must-have" for your children's library if you are divorcing.
on 19 August 2005
My son is 4 and has suffered quietly after his dad left very suddenly. He thought that it was his fault and has been searching his soul and questioning each time he has not behaved perfectly. It has taken a lot to get him to talk about how he feels and I was astounded to find a book that said everything he was feeling and made him feel like he was not alone and that what he felt was normal and ok. I feel like koko could have been written about us.
on 19 May 1999
My son is 3 1/2 and is having a hard time understanding why Daddy and Mommy don't live together anymore. This book helped me introduce the word Divorce to my son and was useful in explaining how to help my child cope with the feelings and trauma of separation. It gives useful tips to parents on how to talk and draw out your feelings. The illustrations were great and very realistic. My son wanted to read it twice!
on 23 September 2011
I was concerned about my grandson aged 5 coping with his parents seperation he was a very angry and sad young man at times.

This book was brilliant a nice story that has been read several times allowing questions to be asked about his own situation. I recommend this book to be read to the child by the father and the mother. I have also read it to him on his request as a night time story it most definnately helped him. I also purchased at the same time My Two Homes.
on 10 August 2009
This is a good book to tackle the difficult subject of divorce with young children. The book is well written and has good advice for parents inside. It does mention the word divorce alot and is not best suited to families who are just separating because of this but overall it is a well thought out and useful book.