on 20 March 2014
When you drop the D-bomb on your kids there is an empty silence that this book managed to fill. We were able to move on from that hideous conversation to a simple story about a bear who didn't understand either. I was able to point to pictures of how I felt and she pointed to pictures of how she felt too. Dad was able to get involved too and we were able to express our sadness as a family. This was happening to all of us. If you're considering buying this book, may I say how sorry I am that this has happened to you too.
15 people found this helpful
on 1 January 2016
I'm starting on this journey with my family now. It's hard to think clearly about everything and I worry about the questions my daughters will ask. The book is reassuring for me and will hopefully reassure the girls when the time to tell them comes.
2 people found this helpful
on 27 July 2011
I bought this book for my 9 year old grand-daughter whose parents have recently separated. I particularly liked the question/discussion prompts and found it a useful tool for encouraging my grand-daughter to talk about her feelings about her situation. I also liked the fact that it covers a longer period of time after an immediate separation, so is able to explore other situations that might arise after the initial one. A really useful book!
2 people found this helpful
on 20 January 2014
rating i chose because it deserves it.i chose this book for my children to give a better understanding to their personal plight.it gave them a better understanding in their little world of how they view this in their minds.i would strongly recommend any family going through the situation of a parent leaving the home to give their child this book to read and to read it themselves also.
on 1 November 2017
Very helpful
on 2 June 2015
Very sad to read for the first time, but my son does like it. It mentions Divorce quite a bit and I would have preferred 'living apart' as this is easier to understand at his age.
on 20 October 2014
Helpful book well written that gives the opportunity to open and discuss things with the child.
on 27 August 2016
A well thought out book.
on 10 March 2015
A very sweet book, easy to understand and interpret. It tackled many issues that even as parent you sometimes forget or don't consider. It helps to encourage conversation and opens up communication between all the family. It even helped me to sympathise with my ex!!
on 4 August 2013
Used with primary aged children to talk about divorce. Has some good suggestions for the adult on each page. Not as fun as some others.