Customer reviews

on 21 September 2017
best tofu cookbook.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 24 September 1998
When our 2 year old was having some health problems, our doctor reccommended taking him off animal fats and proteins. He said tofu was an excellent alternative for us. Not a big cook myself, I turned to amazon.com for some ideas.
I ordered Tofu Cookery and couldn't be happier. It provides recipies for normal foods like enchiladas, spaghetti, salads, and even desserts. Other categories include soups, side dishes, breads, dips, and sauces. Each recipie uses tofu as the main ingredient instead of meat. It has nice color pictures for some of the dishes and even has easy to follow step by step instructions for making your own tofu. My family is excited to better our health and are looking forward to tasting our own tofu.
on 16 April 1999
I'm not a vegitarian, but my girlfriend is a strict ovo-lacto vegitarian which makes cooking meals that we both like a chore at times. This book is great for everyone. The meals, side dishes and desserts are easy to prepare and extremely flavorful. Plus, most of the meals omit dairy and egg products, making them very vegan friendly. We have yet to have made a dish out of it that we didn't enjoy. The cooking instructions are concise and easy to follow and the introduction does an excellent job of describing the varieties and various preparations of tofu/bean curd. Recommend highly.
11 Comment| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 22 July 2007
Tofu gets a bad press: let's face it, it is white, comes in a block and to a Western palate, has a bland flavour. Not to mention the endless jokes about all vegetarians eat is tofu, so they must also be white, blocky and bland!

But get this book and try some of the recipies and you might just convert a few nay-sayers! Some of them are quite impressive and to be honest, some you would even not know that Tofu was the main ingredient!
on 11 August 1997
This book has lots of great tofu recipes. It has recipes for desserts, main dishes, quick breads, cookies, side dishes, sauces, dressings, soups, and much, much more. Many of the main dishes are variations on traditional American meals like meat loaf (tofu loaf), and there are Chinese, Korean, and Mexican main dishes too, as well as other cultural dishes like Jewish-style stuffed cabbage rolls. I use this cookbook a couple of times a week and make a few different recipes that are my favorite. It's a cookbook that will definitely be used on a regular basis.
on 9 April 1999
I've been a vegetarian for years and have amassed some great cookbooks. But in my opinion this definitely rates as a "must have" for all vegetarians. The recipes are numerous and easy to follow and include tofu recipes for things I would never even imagine.
on 14 November 1998
As a longtime vegetarian, I was surprised at the wealth of information -- and great variety of recipes that Louise Hagler has compiled in this volume. The end products are appealling to both the eye and the palate, and there are many recipes that are quick and simple to prepare. Highly Recommended.
on 21 January 1998
This is my favorite book of tofu recipes. It has lots of pictures to show you what the dish is supposed to look like. My favorite dishes: lasagna, quiche, cheesecake. Enjoy!