on 25 February 2010
There are plenty of rave reviews for this book & it has been published in several editions so I just wanted to offer a few words on this volume.

Firstly, it is a chunky, text-book like block & sure it is full of tips & ideas. Some great, some which I think are inappropriate. For example, in one, it mentions an author who goes into bookshops & places his books in the stores without the owner's knowledge. I can think of nothing more irritating for bookshop managers.

In other cases, the tips are designed for people with $750,000 marketing budgets. Sure there are cheaper tips in there but the dollar sign should also give you a clue that this is squarely focused on the US market. Many tips crossover but many don't & this makes it of far less value outside the US.

I think this is one of those books that has got wrapped up in its own success, for example, the author explains the logic of having sponsors, who are liberally scattered throughout the volume advertising various services for what is quite meagre input in some cases but I'm not convinced - one can't help feeling this is I think an inappropriate way to create an additional revenue stream from something I have already paid for.

So, all in all, not quite what I expected. As a first-time author, I expected a companion to help me through the murky work of book marketing what I got was a mix of anecdotes, stories & poorly presented adverts amongst a nest of ideas & tips - some good, some crazy for the sake of it & some you could learn from the web after a quick search.
on 16 November 2009
This book isn't really a book, at least not as I would think of one. Instead it's a compendium of marketing ideas (often aimed at publishers rather than authors) and advertising for people who want to sell you services to promote your book.

I didn't find the format particularly engaging and I think that the advertisements really detract from the book as a whole. In part this may be because the book is huge and lacks structure and many of the advertisements for services have been shoe-horned in; it's more of a magazine than a book.

Why have I still given it three stars?

Well, as a writer it is helpful to get an insight into what your publisher could be doing to promote your work. And for the low price of the book you only need to read one or two useful passages for it to pay for itself many times over.

I also found it interesting reading about what some of the very successful authors mentioned in the book had done to promote their writing.

So all in all I think it's worth buying this book as a resource, but it's not an easy book to work from either stylistically or from a content perspective and reading it is a tedious exercise that I imagine is like going metal detecting; quite a lot of aimless wandering around but gratifying when you find something.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 23 November 2007
There are hundreds of books on book marketing and promotion but 1001 Ways to Market Your Books is the original. This book spans just over 700 pages. It is filled with information about the realities of the publishing world (including shockingly honest facts how the New York Bestseller's list is crafted) helpful hints, and very specific ways to increase book sales.

Much of the material in this book is written specifically for publishers. However, usually at the end of sections, the author will include little tip boxes to show the author how to modify this wisdom for his or her own part in the process. For the self-publishing author, this book is doubly valuable.

I wrote notes as I read through this book and came up with tons of potential marketing ideas. About the only critique I would offer is that I would have liked to see more low cost ideas. Most authors just don't have the budget to take advantage of a lot of these tips.
on 23 December 2009
For once the hype didn't exagerate Kremer does appear to offer '1001 ways to market your books.' A light read will not suffice for it is a work that prospective users need to: -
1) Closely interact with in order to sift relevant from irrelevant information, in particular they will need to decide what 'ways' right for them
2) Sift its 'suggestions into 'do now,' 'do later', 'may do' and 'do not do' and 'actively avoid doing' categories
3) Draw-up a coherent marketing plan complete with aims, targets and deadlines across the whole marketing and communications mix
4) Start applying the most relevant suggestions
5) Have bi-monthly reviews to assess the effectiveness of one's marketing strategy

Endowed with many helpful features such as easily reference sub-headings Kremer does appear to require its users to either have years of business exprerience, (preferably in publishing) to have the marketing genius of Bill Gates or to possess Harvard MBA. Where this leave the 'rooky' writer is anyone's guess. As someone with marketing and management qualifications (plus matching experience) I can appreciate the helpfulness of Kremer's tome but it could leave someone without this background spoilt for choice. It's vitally important for writers to understand the book industry in all its changeable complexity. The fact that Kremer doesn't 'dumb down' is both this books strength and its weakness. It will only benefit those who are well organized and have resources to market their book.
on 3 March 2008
If you are a self published author like I am, then I strongly URGE you to get this book! This book is like the Holy Grail of marketing and self promoting and I dont know what I ever would have done without it!
When I bought this book it had on the front cover 'buy this book, sell more books' and i thought yeah right another sale gimmick, but I assure you , it is not!
Ive still got a few more chapters to go in this book, but the money it has bought in so far has been nothing short of miraculous..i thought i had to share the good news..
this book will NOT disappoint...it covers everything you will ever need to know and more...
im SO glad I got a copy!
on 15 February 2015
I dont know whether it is just on the Kindle version, but this book is very difficult to read because of the formatting. Whole words are broken up into two or three sections. I really need to know the contents and will persevere with it. I am very surprised that someone as knowledgeable as this about marketing books, has allowed this situation!
on 24 July 2008
1001 Ways to Market Your Books is the bible of marketing books. I have read the book cover to cover once and refer back to it again and again.

I used up half of a highlighter and dozens (if not over a hundred) post-it notes to mark the important pages and key points in the book. The title of the book is quite humble. The material actually has probably 2,000 or more ideas to market books.

1001 Ways to Market Your Books covers it all. It addresses the fundamentals, how to open new markets, marketing and selling in bookstores, schools and on the internet. It also discusses selling overseas, selling subsidiary rights, offbeat advertising, promotions and more.

There are so many great ideas that every time I pick it up again I find more marketing ideas to consider. Even if a person cherry picks, there are still enough ideas to keep one busy for years!

What also makes this book a great resource is that is that John Kremer thoroughly researched the work. His common sense approach makes the book a page turner. Although there are 700 pages, there is essentially no fluff.

Thank you John Kremer for providing a path to successfully marking our books!

The Re-Discovery of Common Sense: A Guide To: The Lost Art of Critical Thinking
on 14 December 2009
Packed full of good stuff! Really useful and inspiring.
Lynda Cookson
Artist and Author of "Tea 'n Turps" (which can be found on Amazon)