on 6 November 2012
I do not know what the previous reviewer means. This is clearly a book listing markets in the UK where you can sell your pictures; it doesn't claim to be an international guide (indeed, it would have to run to around 5,000 pages if it was). As reviewers of previous editions have stated, the Handbook is a mine of information for anyone trying to sell their photographs. It lists magazines, book publishers, card and calendar producers, picture agencies etc; all with full details about the type of pics they're looking for and, in many cases, how much they pay. I have sold many pictures to the markets featured therein; I buy every edition as it is published and it has never failed to more than pay for itself. It's been going for 30 years, so it must be doing something right!
John Stuart
on 10 October 2013
Great book filled with a world of information. For me as a begginer whos just looking to get my work seen its a fantastic resource and really points you in the right direction. Not only this but sometimes if im lacking inspiration, or am a few images short of a collection, i can peruse certain markets, what theyre looking for, and take shots accordingly. For me an absolute winner.
on 17 February 2014
If you are in the business or want to start earning money this is your holy book. All one needs really to expose him herself out there. With an existing and strong portfolio, preferably tailored to the specific market success is actually guaranteed.
on 12 January 2013
this is a great reference book, has loads of contacts in here for the freelance photographer who wants to further their craft on a professional basis. highly recommend.
on 2 November 2012
I ordered the book as an additional information for the European market, and hoped to get some valuable information out of it. Well, I got 'valuable information' out of it but in a different way than expected. Now I know alt least what I CANNOT do or WHOM not to contact. Unfortunately this is - in my personal situation - 90 (ninety) percent of the book.

To be fair, I need to stress again that this relates to MY personal situation. The book is updated and has very detailed information for every reference. Not only whom to contact but what this contact (agency, editor, etc.) is actually looking for.

I went through the book within 1 day (and a textmarker), eager to get more resources since I live and operate in Europe. It's a great resource for people who can actually shoot in the UK, and that is the real limitation of the book. It's almost useless for people who do not shoot their images in Great Britain. Most of the book's references and connections look for local images in their area and are even specific about what they need. There is no chance for anybody who lives outside the UK.

The initial book overview should actually mention that. After going through the whole book, I could count the yellow markings I made on one hand, and even those were actually more for postcards or calenders. All other ones were useless for my purposes not having UK images.

The books is great and could earn 5 stars on the sheer UK market, but only there. It is not meant for an international market but is completely researched and written for the UK market only. That's why I gave just 3 stars out of 5.
on 28 November 2012
A great book that is indispensable for the freelance photographer, it gives details on all magazine genres and how to get your work published (if it's good enough!).

If you're serious about making money from photography, this is a 'must have' - just make sure you keep it close to hand at all times!
on 30 September 2015
Great guide for anyone interested in making real money from photography. This book is re-published every year so it is a little expensive to keep purchasing, but often the contact is the same.
on 14 August 2013
Ideal as I get newsworthy photos and need direct contact quickly with photo editors. Saves hunting for them online which may give the opposition the advantage without this directory...
on 20 March 2014
This is a must for anyone wanting to get in to freelance photography, you have so many leads and contacts in this book, it will be a real leg-up to point you in the right direction.
on 21 February 2013
This is a reference book you can dip into to see who is most likely to want your latest stunning photograph. Very useful for newcomers to the field like myself. Highly recommended.