on 8 August 2003
This book i thought was going to be full of incoherent mumblings about fathoms and linear models but instead of a physics lessons i got very in depth, easy to comprehend information about waves. this helped me, as a surfer, understand the waves and which in turn brought my surfing to a whole new level. I fully recommend this book to anyone who has the slightest interest in the sea, whether you are a surfer of just a gazing out to sea kind of person!
on 19 July 2017
Useful tool for any surfer, increases understanding how surf is created.
on 19 April 2007
after surfing for many years i have a fair knowledge of weather and how waves are created but this book really helped me take a step up in my understanding. Easy to understand and a must buy for anyone interested in wave creation.
on 1 November 2009
I like this book. It gives a good introduction the science behind waves and their formation and transformation as they travel towards the coast. Good for anyone who fancies starting to find their own breaks and make their own forecasts from buoys.
on 9 June 2010
This books has been one of the most enjoyable reads I've had in a long while on a technical subject. Really well structured with enough simplification to make it accessible to all but there is still the background detail such as equations provided in separate boxes, should you be feeling keen.
The title is self explanatory, it provides an excellent overview of the hugely complex mechanisms at work to provide us with waves we can surf. I thought that the authors did a great job of building up the story and explaining the various components that combine to provide the weather patterns necessary to produce waves. They also explain how the waves tend to travel and organise after being generated, so you understand when the best waves may reach your break from a given weather system. There are also chapters explaining what happens as the waves get closer to the coast and how the shape of coastline and seabed will dictate how the waves ultimately break.
If you want to understand when the next good swell should be coming and why, get this book.
on 2 July 2010
I'm just 19 years old, and one of my A Levels was Geography. I had a solid base of Geography and how the world works from this point; nevertheless, this book has deepen my knowledge in the subject and put everything that I knew together, gaining a clear and global view of the formation of the waves and how everything works and how it's interconected, starting from the Sun heating the Earth in different ways and even building a strong knowledge on prediction.
I highly recomend this book to anybody interested in Surfing and that isn't content to just surf the waves but is willing to understand how, why and when they reach the coast. It is even usefull for people that don't surf or that are doing A Level Geography.
on 26 March 2010
Hi Guys

For one, if you're interested in surfing and how waves/forecasting work, definitely buy this book.
As far as the company goes, I had a quick and painless delivery and the book arrived in good condition, plus I believe that I got a really good value for money deal.
I'll leave the decision to you.
on 10 April 2012
This book is realyy intresting for learing about waves and weather in general it give you a really good understandinng of how our planets weather systems work as well as how wavesa are made and it helps you understand when there will be waves etc.
on 26 December 2013
Arrived promptly and in excellent condition for a 2nd hand book. Was expecting to see writing and markings in the book, however it is completely devoid of anything. Thank you.
on 1 December 2013
i knew this particular book was what my nephew wanted as he is very interested in surfing and paddle boarding - it's going to be a great Christmas gift for him.