Customer reviews

on 21 January 2008
Circle Round by Starhawk is a great book, but I find the American-ness a little irritating. This book is not a replacement for that, but it does a similar thing, goes through the pagan festivals, tells the stories behind then, explains why certain traditions exist and gives suggestions for different ways to celebrate. I keep this book by my bedside for continual reference - there is always something to celebrate approaching in the pagan calendar! I have recommended this to several friends and am now browsing for more Glennie Kindred books.
on 21 December 2016
Amazed at the excellent condition the book was in as it was purchased as used. I even received a revised an updated version. My original book was stolen from me and I was doubtful whether I could ever replace it. Would not hesitate to use again.
on 26 January 2016
Fantastic
on 14 April 2013
This book is wonderful. It is well written and very interesting. It covers the wheel of the year and would make a great addition for all pagans
on 23 May 2016
As described and good value, a lovely book to look at to read about the festivals in the wheel of the year
on 24 March 2013
I just love this book and it has been a true eye opener for me! Thank you so much, Glennie for writing this wonderful book!
on 16 January 2002
For years now I have been looking for an interesting and factual book on the Celtic year, that isn't published in America by Lewellyn. I've found it here. Gorgeous cover and attractive illustrations throughout, it is THE sourcebook for Sacred Celabrations (as the title suggests). As it is written and published in Britain by a British woman, I feel more of a connection to her words.
This book contains all the information you will ever need on each of the eight Celtic festivals, and loads more besides. There are recipes, craft activities and many, many suggestions to help you celebrate the turning of the wheel of the year.
This is a book for beginners and experienced practicioners and celebrants alike, and really is a joy to hold in your hands and read. I have not once regretted buying this book, I only regret that I didn't find it sooner!
0Comment| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 8 November 2004
I am a huge fan of Glennies books and she hasn't disappointed here at all! This is an excellent book both for beginners and the more experienced Pagan. And is most certainly perfect for Pagans with children. It gives you all the Solstices and Equinoxes with explanations of what they are about, history, folk lore as well as ideas on how to celebrate them. This includes ideas for the children.
Some friends of mine are expecting their first child and I am considering purchasing this as a Yule gift. I know invaluable mine has been for me and it's always a pleasure reading Glennies books.
I would also recommend this to anyone wishing too study paganism.
on 13 August 2011
I bought this book because I wanted information about the Celtic Wheel of the Year, and was pleasantly surprised to get not only a great introduction to that, but also a book that gets my creative juices flowing and makes me want to go outdoors and experience the land at all seasons.
The beginning of the book explains the basics of the Wheel of the Year and the eight Celtic festivals, the five elements and their correspondences, the phases of the Moon, the Celtic Otherworld and Underworld, creating ceremony, etc. Then it goes on to a more in depth exploration of each of the eight festivals of the year which each gets four segments: Introduction, Underlying energy, Preparations, and Celebrations. You can do as many or as few of the suggested activities as you like, alone, in a group, or with children. Maybe just meditate on the keywords and soak up the mood of the season from them.
Additional info on herbs, trees, symbols, and traditions is added throughout the book as well as the authour's own illustrations.
It is a great book for beginners interested in Celtic and Earth-centrered celebrations as well as a trusty reference book for continued explorations. The format is handy, too, fits well in your hand or bag.
If you liked her booklet "The Earth's Cycle of Celebrations" and want a more fleshed-out and in depth version of it, this is the book to get.
It balances the spritual, the practical, the creative, and the informative in an easy-to-follow way. "The Old Ways" for the 21st century.
on 3 March 2007
This book helps us understand the importance of feeling at one with the earth and its seasons, then it shows us how we might achieve that oneness, through celebration and appreciation of nature throughout the year. Glennie Kindred teaches in a highly readable and entertaining way, that there is something to celebrate all year round and this is a "must-read" especially for anyone with winter blues! The book, in its straightforward, unassuming way, gives lots of fun, practical ideas for celebrating the turning of the year and feeling an essential part of it. The yearly cycle with all its ancient festivals is outlined and related to the cycle of our own everyday lives. In this age of climate control in cars, central heating in houses and imported foods all year round, we are in danger of becoming divorced from the natural cycle of the seasons, which we, as human animals, need to feel in order to maintain our own physical and spiritual health. Glennie's book shows us a way back to where nature meant us to be. A great little book for people of all faiths or none. Read it and celebrate!