on 24 March 2016
I purchased this for my hubby who has installed some raised beds in our garden to grow veg in. We used to have an allotment a few years ago but since giving it up we have got a little rusty and needed a reference/guide on what to grow and how to look after plants. This book is perfect for what we needed.

I knew this would be a good reference book as I used to have a flower expert book and that was very helpful too.

I'm looking forward to homegrown veg this year.

I would recommend
on 6 July 2014
What is there to say, he is the master of succinct and correct information.
Up-to-date, and ever so useful. Added to the shelf with all his other reference books.
With the use of pesticides wholesale, and new DNA breeding of all plants, we need his advice.
on 21 October 2015
The first copy I bought, in 1970 something or other, has finally given up the ghost and this 'new' edition has replaced it. Thankfully the intervening years hasn't provoked re-branding, modernising or generally mucking about. The improvements are as they should be, move with the times but nothing fancy. A most excellent guide to vegetable growing.
on 14 January 2017
The best book on veg growing. I have 3 copies of various ages. Always reach for this to find distances and depths more than anything. Some techniques are a little out of date and as others mention, no section or garlic. Covers varieties, when to sow/harvest and how to cook. This is THE manual for allotments and veg growers alike.
on 27 September 2017
I had the earlier edition and it has been my vegetable growing Bible for years. I gave that copy to my Grandson. I am impressed by the new edition, so far and I am ready for next year when I will test it fully! The new edition seems at least as thorough and concise as the earlier edition and that is very good. No waffle!
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 9 January 2016
Bought this volume to replace our first one, which was falling to pieces because of constant use. It has been updated, and my husband treats it like his bible. Very informative, and written in laymans language. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend any of Dr Hessayons books.
on 19 January 2015
I have the old Vegetable Expert Book (about thirty years ago) and this is an updated version listing more modern varieties, invariably this will become dated as well.
This is still the best Vegetable growing book I have, the information and clearly laid out timings for different crops are really good and easy to follow - despite a few shortcomings, if I could only keep one gardening book this would be it !!
on 2 March 2016
I have owned this book before but when we were moving house we appear to have mislaid it.
Have always found this a very useful book as everything is laid out in a simple to understand format which suits the way my mind works :-)
Being something of a fair-weather gardener I like to be able to find the facts I need quickly without having to trawl through a large amount of text to extract the information.
on 21 February 2016
Prompt delivery
As recommended by allotment friend to purchase
Good easy to understand Vegetable growing information for newbie or experienced gardener
Well pleased with purchase
Would recommend
on 27 March 2017
This is the best vegetable book I own as it is clear and concise. It is also very easy to ready with good pictures to illustrate.