on 18 August 2002
We are first time allotment holders and our knowledge of vegetable growing was to say the least limited, we first got this book from the library and have found it to be worth its weight in gold. Not only does it show in easy stages how to grow the veggies but how to freeze and preserve them too. There is nothing it doesn't tell you. If you are into growing organic vegetables then this book is a must, so stop reading the reviews and go and buy it, we did, you won't regret it.
11 Comment| 112 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 May 2017
This book has lots of detail and great info but it's very out of date. It's of it's time when it says things like 'the housewives know what to do with a potato'. Also some species used and practices are very out of date. A good starter book but try and ignore the chauvinistic attitude!
on 24 August 2017
Quite the best book ever on fruit and veg growing. Bought this to replace an old edition that was falling to bits. My old copy didn't include herbs so that was nice to have all in one book. Lots of new varieties of vegetables listed that weren't in the older version but I guess it's revised quite regularly.
on 31 July 2013
As someone who's new to veggie gardening, I was recommended this book by a leading seed company, and I am so glad I decided to buy it!

It's been wonderful for teaching me how and when to plant my veggies and details some of the problems you may encounter (such as diseases) too!

I find it very easy to read and understand this book and I wouldn't be without it! I'd recommend it to anyone starting out on their veggie adventures!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 10 October 2017
Excellent condition, good useful book for advice on growing and the various pests and problems you may come across, bargain buy, to add to my small collection of gardening books.
on 1 September 2017
Bought this book many years ago for myself and have had great success following the planting methods and general husbandry advice in this book. I bought this one for my daughter who is just getting started in gardening hopefully she too will find this book straight forward and easy to use and have great success in her vegatable gardening.
on 10 March 2013
As virgin gardeners this book proved to be invaluable when we started growing our own veg. It was actually recommended to us by a lady in a garden centre. It tells you where, when, what and how to grow veg- it even has pages of what goes wrong- useful for our caulis when they died. A must for any veg grower
on 9 October 2017
On to dip in and out of but you could find this info online.
on 1 May 2009
This is such a useful book for the vegetable grower - I would strongly recommend purchase whether you have a few pots in the back garden or an allotment plot. The advice is really clearly laid out but still manages to cover vast amounts of material. There's planting and harvesting charts, spacing info etc etc and lots on pests and diseases with clearly drawn examples - although the odd photo here wouldn't go amiss. I agree with a previous reviewer that to call it a 'herb expert' book too is stretching it a bit but if you want it for veg I can't fault it. Good price and will be with you for years to come.
on 7 April 2017
Good book. Have several of Dr.Hessayon books. All easily understood.