TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 24 March 2016
I purchased this for my hubby who has installed some raised beds in our garden to grow veg in. We used to have an allotment a few years ago but since giving it up we have got a little rusty and needed a reference/guide on what to grow and how to look after plants. This book is perfect for what we needed.

I knew this would be a good reference book as I used to have a flower expert book and that was very helpful too.

I'm looking forward to homegrown veg this year.

I would recommend
on 14 January 2017
The best book on veg growing. I have 3 copies of various ages. Always reach for this to find distances and depths more than anything. Some techniques are a little out of date and as others mention, no section or garlic. Covers varieties, when to sow/harvest and how to cook. This is THE manual for allotments and veg growers alike.
on 16 April 2014
Old version lasted for years and the new update brilliant ,long may it last....
New updates available and i will be ordering as cannot go wrong with product and ordering and delivery!
on 6 November 2016
This was recommended to me for my son-in-law. I had it sent direct to him and can only report on what I have been told. I was told that each vegetable had a page dedicated to itself. As my son-in-law is a novice gardener I thought that would be ideal. He certainly was pleased.
on 9 January 2016
Bought this volume to replace our first one, which was falling to pieces because of constant use. It has been updated, and my husband treats it like his bible. Very informative, and written in laymans language. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend any of Dr Hessayons books.
on 21 February 2016
Prompt delivery
As recommended by allotment friend to purchase
Good easy to understand Vegetable growing information for newbie or experienced gardener
Well pleased with purchase
Would recommend
on 31 October 2014
An excellent reference book for both the experienced and beginner. Very well illustrated with tons of information about what to grow, how to grow it and how to recognise problems . I'm so glad I bought it and can highly recommend it.
on 5 February 2016
This is a fantastic book I had an old copy and found it very useful to keep at my allotment as it tells you everything you need to know about planting and growing your vegetables ie spacing's type of soil and best position for planting. And it works out much cheaper then buying lots of garden magazines! I would highly recommend this book now its even better.
on 27 March 2017
This is the best vegetable book I own as it is clear and concise. It is also very easy to ready with good pictures to illustrate.
on 19 January 2015
I have the old Vegetable Expert Book (about thirty years ago) and this is an updated version listing more modern varieties, invariably this will become dated as well.
This is still the best Vegetable growing book I have, the information and clearly laid out timings for different crops are really good and easy to follow - despite a few shortcomings, if I could only keep one gardening book this would be it !!