on 10 April 2009
I have bought two of these over the past year for friends. One was from Australia and the other from Lancashire. Whenever we conversed I would automatically slip in one or two Yorkshire slang words and they didn't understand me so I bought them each this book so they could translate the slang. They were both highly delighted with the book and it helps spread the word that Yorkshire is a diverse, rich place to live or visit as well as giving a small insight into our heritage. It's pocket size, so easy to carry around as well as being interesting to read. Even I used it to look up a word or two - and I'm a Yorkshire lass through and through.
on 1 June 2013
Bought this as a socking filler for some American friends that came to visit for Christmas. Went down really well and they kept reading it all day and asking lots of questions about Yorkshire expressions. This was well received, nice glossy cover. Very slim and small format but a super gift.
on 10 May 2015
As a born and bred Yorkshirewoman, some of the phrases/translations are ones that my Grandad may have heard but are unheard of to me. However, I bought this as a jokey gift for an American friend, who finds some of my turn of phrases highly amusing, and they think it's the best thing since sliced bread. It's the ideal gift for a non-Brit.
on 15 April 2016
Yorkshire
When tha' lives weer we do, this book does thee proud.  Wiv 'ad one sat on't shelf for ages nah.  Wiv allus lived in't republic o' Yoorkshire, but know there's other 'uns knockin' ararnd artside.  When t'sutherners turn up, we show 'em t'book, otherwise neither on us can reckon what t'other's sayin’!

English
Living in Yorkshire, we think this little book is invaluable, and have had one sitting on our bookcase now for a number of years. Although we’ve been fortunate enough to live in this beautiful county all of our lives, we understand that not everyone can be so lucky. When we are visited by such ill-favoured out-of-county associates, we are able to present them with this little gem so that they can study our rich and varied dialect.
review image
on 19 December 2011
I have to say there are a lot of words and sayings in this book that I have never heard of ... I'm born and bred in York itself and was hoping for a few more local terms also it is smaller than I expected. However the ones we use that are in the book, are written well, and it does bring a smile to your face. I never realised before really how we put words together and make one long one ..... e.g. What's up with her? = supwier? LOVE IT!! At the back of the book are sentences I have to say this is my favourite part as it's funny and very true. This book is definitely worth buying.
on 20 June 2013
This book is quite small, but great fun. Its full of phonetically written Yorkshire quotes, with the English translation written next to it... a great gift for your bestmates new in-laws form Lancashire
on 13 September 2009
i bought this as a fun little gift for my boyfriend. he's irish, and usually finds things about my yorkshire accent comical. He still appreciates this little gift months down the line... he had a good time reading and quoting the content from the book too.
on 30 June 2016
Bought this as a leaving present for some non-Yorkshire staff thinking it would be a bit of fun. But it's tiny (fits in the plan of your hand) and laid out in a really boring way, just like a dictionary. I guess it does what it says on the tin, bit wouldn't recommend this as a 'fun' purchase.
on 17 January 2011
I bought this for Friends in Australia who are coming to the UK this year. They were very impressed. As a Yorkshire person myself, I thought some of the translations were a bit 'Off', but then Yorkshire is so big, some words differ from area to area.
on 17 March 2015
the book Yorkshire English is a very imformative read as well as well written and amusing book it gives a insite in to the great laugwich I would highly recormend the book a great read