Customer reviews

on 21 February 2006
This commentary on Pascal' thoughts looks well-researched, but I found it fundamentally disappointing.
I am an artist and I bought the book because I am fascinated by the concept of "belief" and how it might relate to "deceit".
I had expected to find an exploration of the ideas of Pascal but was disappointed with the commentary on Pascal's words. Although "dogmatism" is condemned on many occasions in the commentary, I was struck by how much of it there seemed to be in the text. To take one example, in Chapter 9 "Vanity of the Philosophers" is the statement "Pascal is a prophet. Descartes is a false prophet". Well, that's handy to know!
Overall I found the adversarial tone prevented me from engaging with the commentary, and it seems I will need to look elsewhere for enlightenment on Pascal.
on 26 September 2002
I purchased this book on a whim, having not heard of either Pascal or Kreeft. I was so glad when the book arrived and I began to explore the Pensees, which are excellently arranged and discussed by Kreeft. I am now a big fan of the 17th century mathematician, physicist and theologian. The book is provoking and insightful - get it!
on 18 July 1999
I struggled on my own with my existential crisis and frustration with our greatness/wretchedness and rediscovered the faith I had shelved. I read this book much later and it was an eloquent treatment of my path through the dark night! Pascal is great and Peter Kreeft adds much, with his elegant and illuminating comments. I use a lot of material from this book when talking with secular optimists and pessimists. I really like all the Kreeft books that I have read and he is a good speaker, too. I could not put down this book and have re-read it several times, in whole or parts. Highly recommended!
on 12 May 1998
Well done book by Peter Kreeft, a very powerful author. I greatly appreciated reading his organization of the Pensees. I recommend this book to anyone interested in understanding Christianity.