Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Fire Tablet Shop Kindle Blind Boys of Alabama Shop now Fitbit

on 30 April 1998
Kathleen Meyer would be the one lady I would not want to go in the woods without! Her insight to the obvious will keep you rolling until your sides ache! As for cetain kinds of devilish little buggers getting loose into the water supply, Kathleen takes a no-nonsence approach as to how to poop and not pollute! She has a chapter for women only and solutions to the "flat rock problems" most women have to deal with in the woods as well. I strongly recommend this book, especially for scouting mom's!
In 'Tales From Djakatar' by Pramoedya a Ananta Toer, there is a conversation between a Houseboy and a Maid which goes "How simple life is. It's as simple as this: you're hungry and you eat, you're full and you shit. Between eating and shitting, that's where human life is found." Kathleen Meyer's book gives the first two stages of life a miss and concentrates solely on the last in the trinity of simple life stages namely defecating. More precisely how to rid the body of it's intake of food and liquids whilst in the great outdoors without causing an environmental 'tsunami' or debasing one's apparel or filling up one's boots to overflowing.

Whilst the toilet humour aspect of the book might well have made a major contribution to it becoming "The International Best-Seller With Over 1 Million Copies Sold", the book is not merely a comedic escapade into outdoor toilets. It is a very conservation orientated work of helpful hints for causing the absolute minimum impact on our fragile environment in pursuit of the ultimate and possibly overwhelmingly pressing objective of bowel and bladder relief. Interwoven into the narration and advice is the most comprehensive collection of information possibly to be found on the subject of crap, as well as a veritable treasure trove of useful gadgets, and the 'bottom' line facts about the effects of excrement on the land and water.

This book when left prominently on your coffee table will soon cause either great hilarity or acute embarrassment among your guests, far more than the latest copy of 'Harry Potter' or similar, but either way it will solicit a reaction, that should lead to a fruitful and enlightening conversation on this most fundamental of all human bodily needs.
on 16 March 1998
I bought two copies of this book in December, 1996. The first was purchased as a gift and the second one was for me. My copy has since disappeared. As an avid cross-country skier (and when necessary, outdoor pooper), I found many of the suggestions quite useful. The book also became a great conversation piece with friends on our ski weekends. I highly recommend it.
on 21 June 1998
Despite the title, this volume should be essential reading to all hikers and backbackers who have a digestive system. Practical and ecological, the humor makes the reading easy and not offensive.
on 29 August 2013
I couldn't finish this book because I was backpacking in the Lake District and ran out of toilet paper. So I missed the last 20 pages or so.............

Ok, that's a lie. It's a good read. I suppose some things are pretty obvious in it (I hope anyway, or the world is in trouble). I got the updated edition and I think my wife and daughters were more interested in how as a girl you keep your boots dry at those important moments.
on 20 February 2008
Whilst I don't get caught short too often, I now feel equiped to go about it in a environmentally sound way. The author is based in America so some of the information about eqiupment and local plants is not useful. Other than that its a good read witty and informative.
on 13 February 2001
Myself and another scout leader were told by the scouts to 'Shut Up! We're trying to sleep!' as we howled with laughter reading excerpts from this worthy tome.
More seriously we have some very good reasons to encourage hand washing among the lads when on camp.
on 24 February 2001
A rather strange book telling you stories of how people had a numer 2 in the wild. The stories will have you gripped and peaing your pants in no time. The most funny of allstories is th person who had one in his hood and forgot until he put it on! I would recomend you buy this book unless you are easily offended it is also a presents vivide pictures for the mind.
on 15 December 2014
Personally I was hoping for this to be printed on 162 sheets of triple-quilted, ultra-soft paper. Unfortunately this was not the case, as a result it was quite a rough wipe, however, it still did the job.
on 1 January 2010
If you ever have had to "GO" whilst out. and no toilets are near . Get this it is very funny and has some great stories and information in it. It is just as the title says.