on 15 May 2014
This is a genuine and thoroughly researched book (with top notch scientific research projects to back up its claims). So many of these type of 'medical books' are lightweights – this one is a notable exception.

If you suspect that cortisol levels may be an issue in your case, this book provides countless solutions to improve your health. I found it to be very valuable and will follow several of its advice for the rest of my life. If I could I could rate it with more stars than 5 stars, I would!
on 29 December 2016
This book is written so badly that it was a pain to finish to read it. The only reason I read it all was because it was the first book I had bought on the subject and I was curious to see what would be said about adrenal fatigue.
I think the information provided are not relevant most of the time. This book is written "the American way" with an enormous amount of repetitions (even within the same paragraph).
Even though the author would have been a better writter, I still would not recommend this book. If you are also stressing a lot due to adrenal fatigue, I would recommend you the book : Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome (James L. Wilson).
on 2 October 2016
This is my v first Amazon review but felt I had to comment on how useful I found this book. A real eye opener and advice I will definitely be following. Very clearly written and providing reference material to different trials that have been held and the results. Personally I would rather follow an holistic route to my health than prescription drugs where possible. I highly recommend this book. Jude of Oxfordshire
on 10 October 2011
Read this book, it is enlightening and fascinating. It makes so much sense!
I havent yet finsihed the book but I am delighted with it, I already have friends who want to borrow it, but Id rather they buy one because I dont wish to be without it!
on 25 March 2013
This book is very informative. After being diagnosed with cushings disease I wanted to read up on the affects of raised cortisol. This book explains the right supplements to take. What you should eat and how to manage stress and very detailed description of cortisol and the complications associated with it. Would defo recommend!
on 26 November 2011
This book was less than useless. Besides the extraordinarily illuminating advice to eat healthy and exercise (really? so THATS how you lose weight, why did no one tell me this before?)the author advises taking a bucket load of suppliments every day, which are really expensive. So I did, for three months. Did anything happen? No. I didn't lose any more weight than just by eating a healthy diet and moving. And I am rather suspicious about the fact that the author claims weight loss research will target cortisol production and by 2010 there would be a pill to fix obesity. Well obviously the research proved a dead end, cause here we are in 2011 (almost 2012) and it hasn't panned out yet. Save your money, besides the suppliments, this book is pretty much like any other diet book.
44 Comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 February 2010
This book has been a real find for me! I think I must have read pretty much every book ever published (well, since 1999, anyway) about metabolic disorders, their causes and how to treat them. None of them told me anything I hadn't already worked out for myself about nutrition, the endocrine system, adrenal fatigue, hypothyroidism and the value of a healthy lifestyle.

However, my life is stress on a stick, has been for years and I can't change that at the moment so all the mellifluous theory spouted in those books didn't help me at all. I knew part of my trouble is a dysfunctional thyroid gland but I also knew through bitter experience that merely taking thyroxine and dieting isn't the answer to weight loss or feeling better than I have been.

This book addresses its readers with the assumption that we actually have some intelligence, rather than talking to us as we're half witted. Starting from a standpoint that assumes stress is a given in all our lives, it delves much more deeply than all the other books into the background causes of metabolic dysfunction, including the effect stress has on hidden cell activity, tipping the balance of testosterone and cortisol ratios in the blood until we're merely exhausted fat-making machines instead of the vital, busy, healthy people we used to be.

It also dismisses the theory so many books support - that we need to up our exercise regime to ridiculously unmanageable levels to lose weight; in most cases, if we had the time to do two hours of bench pressing or jogging each day, we probably wouldn't be in the state we're currently in. Interestingly, the author also describes how too much exercise-based stress can work against your health and well being.

What I gained from reading this book is an understanding of how my body has changed while I was busy looking the other way, and what I can do to get the balance of my health restored in my favour. It recommends taking a lot of supplements (standard vitamins and some easily available herbal concoctions) at doses that many health practitioners probably wouldn't approve of, but I'm prepared to give these theories a try for three months because they sound like they're based in common sense. And anyway, I've tried everything else.

I will leave another review after that time as an update...
66 Comments| 73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 February 2013
Great reference for those trying to balance work & nutrition. Essential reading for those struggling to manage their weight successfully.
on 21 July 2010
Ignore the American style hype in the language and look at the facts. There is some serious research here on a subject that recieved more attention in the world of sports medicine than it will ever get in the Doctor's Surgery. Why?

Because the Doctors are pumped full of adverts by pharmaceutical companies that want to sell them AntiDepressants and Tranquilizers and Statins and AntiHypertensives and various other patent medicines for Type 2 Diabetes as well. The whole nine yards of medication for Syndrome X (stressed out middle aged fat people with blood pressure and heart disease) also known as "most of the world" and at least 25% of the population of the US.

Sports Medicine however needed a way to get its Athletes who earn millions out of the downward spiral that High Intensity Workouts over a long period produce. The elevated Cortisol levels caused by extreme exercise cause syndrome x even in these very healthy individuals who eat sensilbly and do excercise which is what the Government tells you is supposed to fix Syndrome X.

This is exactly the same downward sprial as caused by stress in the modern world that leads to Syndrome X and which a sedentary lifestyle and junk food make happen so much faster in the ordinary population. But the outcome is the same for the athletes they got fatigued, had raised blood pressure, lowered insulin sensitivity etc despite the healthy lifestyle.

Where as you and I take a sicky and get some drugs from the Doctor that reduce the symptoms and find a less stressfull job this is not an option for a £50,000 a week footballer at the top of his career nor is it one his managers want so they tried to find what no drug company wants: a cure.

You only sell a cure once but you can sell something to treat the symptoms forever. If you do not believe me try looking at Peptic Ulcers. An Australian doctor (Barry James Marshall, AC, FRS, FAA)got the Nobel Prize for proving they are caused by a bacteria H.Pylori. But the drug companies still actively sell Antacid an acid secretion inhibitors, and your doctor will still very likely prescribe them to you. These are still some of the top selling medicines world wide despite Dr Marshall's Nobel prize for proving stomach acid is neither causes nor prolongs ulcers.

That is why athletes and their Doctors have known about this for years but you wont hear this from your Family GP.

Have a read, see what you think, then go do some more reading elsewhere on the subject.
44 Comments| 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 December 2011
Many thanks for sending the book - as described - all great. There isn't really any more to say ... great!

Thanks you