on 16 March 2010
If, like me, you have picked up a few ancient coins here and there and are wondering if it is something you should develop, this book is for you. Providing an introduction to collecting ancient coins- what and where to buy, how much to pay, how to keep them looking good, and how to spot fakes - as well as a full overview of the main categories of ancient coins, this book is an invaluable resource. After reading it, coin catalogues started to make a lot more sense to me and I became better at judging what makes a coin worth buying. This book is also the first of a series, the others examining each geographical region for ancient coins in greater depth. With many coin books being extremely expensive, I recommend Ancient Coin Collecting as containing all the information a beginner will need in an easy-to-read and stimulating format.
on 20 December 2007
I'm sure it is a very good book.

In fact I ordered one as long ago as September, and was initially told it would be available in November. It seems that it must now be available. But not for me !

Now I'm told that I will not get mine until after Christmas. Meanwhile, Amazon concentrate their efforts into sending me lots of emails recommending books I don't particularly want that they have specially selected for me.

This is an excellent book. This is the book that I have in fact selected to receive. Thank you, Amazon. I thought that if I ordered it in September it would be in time for me to get it from someone as a Christmas present. This has all been very helpful.

ACTUAL REVIEW IS SHOWN AS THE LAST COMMENT, WHEN I FINALLY GOT A COPY OF THE BOOK, NOT DIRECT FROM AMAZON
44 Comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 November 2009
I had never before collected Greek coins.

I had the Wayne Swayles Vol 111 on the Roman world . but I found it light. It's actual talk about emperors and their coins practically non-existant.
I didn't pick up from that that Commodus was the first to have a "Nobilitis " reverse or that Domtian had a thing about Minerva...ie stuff like that or the interesting Gallienus reverses etc. You know coin lore...
You know Julius Ceasar Elephant/sacred implements was struck ( apparently0 to pay the troops about the timw he crossed the Rubicon...but you wouldn't know thAT OR GET THE ARGUMENTS PRO OR CON FROM HIS BOOKS.
I thought the Greek would be more illuminating . I didn't know anything..it wasn't really very good for anything.
Very disapointing ...the guy MUST know a lot but doesn't share his knowledge in books.
Very lightweight.
Don't buy the books unless you are desperate.
on 28 May 2013
Very informative.Contains the information I was looking for well set out, and very helpful for the novice collector. I have bought other volumes in the same series.
on 4 April 1998
If you are as fascinated with ancients as I am, you MUST have this book. You will love how easy it is to read and you will constantly refer back to it.