on 22 April 2004
How wonderful St. Therese's life is! This, her biography, is one of the most beautiful books ever written filled, as it is, with the story of her utter love and devotion for Our Lord that was her life on earth! The 'Story of a Soul' is one of the most dear and beautiful of guides to happiness; from heaven her prayers for us are even now so powerful. A must for every Catholic and for all, Christian or not.
on 20 August 2007
A remarkable book by someoned whose childlike faith and total reliance on her Saviour is truly inspirational. I'm looking for a hardback edition as I'll wear the paperback out too quickly with constant re-readings of my favourite passages!

They call her approach "The Little Way" as in the original Douay translation of the Bible the word 'little' is used in many places where modern translations use 'humble', 'young, 'a child', etc. To Therese, she just had to be 'little' and let God work through her. The book includes her whole life story and a beautiful chapter about her understanding of Faith, Prayer and service of God.

If you wanted an example of someone who truly tried to 'become as a little child' in her Faith, then you need look no further.
on 22 December 2007
In my great desire to follow Christ the Living Saviour and learn more about the Little Flower, I was to be a lucky recipient of the Story of a Soul: Authobiography of St. Theresa of Lisieux.

St. Theresa's parents had taught her to respect the poor - a virtue my parents have disciplined me into. St. Theresa is spending her heaven in doing good on earth. Her autobiography is excellent. It contains her teaching as she had lived life (obedience ... I am a very little soul and that I can offer God only very little things). She speaks to us of the truths and beauty of heaven.

Like the Bible, the Story of a Soul always internally changes me, a new truth, a new vision every day. The little things do matter and I must pursue matters through love, consideration and obedience. I must love, only love.

Story of a Soul has received recommendations from the highest of highest. Pope Pius XI "We earnestly desire that all the faithful should study her in order to copy her, becoming children themselves; since otherwise they cannot, according to the words of the Master, arrive at the kingdom of heaven."
on 14 June 2013
A must read how an ordinary girl was transformed into a saint by the Holy Spirit there is hope for us all. She is a Doctor of the Church because of her writings which are still used and followed today.
on 30 December 2008
I first read Story of a Soul way back in my teens, many years ago, I have since re-read just a few weeks ago, and find I still have the same love and faith in St Therese. Her huge faith is such an uplifting feeling, and her complete obedience to Jesus is really quite moving.

At such a young age and in a strictly enclosed Carmelite Monastery, St Therese showed all Christians how we should meditate, and change our lives, she is indeed 'The Little Flower' for me St Therese is a great inspiration, her gentleness, innocence, piety, and love for all shine through. I recommend this book for anyone who wants to go on a spiritual journey walking alongside St Therese.
I have long heard of St. Theresa, The Little Flower, and finally decided to read her life in her own words. Her autobiography consists of three writings she produced under the direction of her superiors in the Carmel. It tells the story of her faith driven life and the family that nurtured it. We read of her mother’s death, her adoption of her older sister as a replacement mother, her father’s joy as one after another of her daughters entered the convent and her familial and religious relationship with her sisters in home and the Carmel. It provides a perspective on life. I found my lessons on its pages. Find yours.
on 20 November 2009
I had almost forgotten this book and the influence it had over me, as a youngster. I first read it on receiving it as a birthday present at the age of 12. My mother had always loved it and, although, at that age, I didn't fully appreciate it I planned to re-read it at a later time (which I have done on several occasion.The story of a young girl from an ordinary (and in some ways extraordinary)family who made up her mind to become a nun, like two of her sisters,in her early teens. Although she knew this was unheard of, she approached first her parish priest and then her bishop; both smiled and said that this was unheard of, especially as she wished to join the strict,enclosed Order of the Carmelites; undeterded and with a humble but dogged determination she,on a pilgrimage to Rome,evaded the Swiss guards, barriers etc. and went up to keel right in front of the Pope!Apart from being somewhat startled he gave a very diplomatic, and in some ways phorphetic,answer "If it's God's Will, it will happen!" Soon after she jioned Carmel, at the age of 15!Therese died of TB at the age of 24. Unknown,outside of her convent, it is these "hidden years" which make such interesting reading. St.Therese is known in every Continent of the World and respected and venerated by Christians and non-Christians alike. Her Relics were recently brought,on a 6 week tour of Britain and Ireland and were venerated by thousands of people,who had quide up for hours for the privilege of keeling before her casket. She was carried to such diverse places as York Minister and Pentonville Prison!This autobiography is essential reading for a modern,secular society.
on 24 February 2013
good book riveting stuff nice tohave anm insight into someones thoughts who is so devoted to her belief very good
on 13 December 2009
A simple child; blessed by the Grace of God.
An example of simplicity,purity and Godliness.
on 12 November 2009
Story of a Soul is excellent. When reading it, I found I didn't want to put the book down. Really uplifting book and a 'MUST' for anyone interested in finding a way to get to know and love God. At first Therese appears to be a little girl who was loved to bits by her family (which she was) but she was in no way spoiled and for such a young girl, her courage and determination was truly exceptional. If you want to find an uncomplicated way of becoming a saint then Therese is the saint to tell you how to succeed. I would definitely recommend this book - it is superbly and beautifully written.