on 15 June 1998
Although the focus is Soup here, I began using the baking section first. I found definitive buttermilk cornbread, biscuts and muffins, although I have been a good baker for a long time, these were truly the "best in class" and are the standard for my kitchen. I have some favorites now among the extensive soup section but still need to supplement with other cookbooks when I want a meat recipe since the focus here is chicken, fish, vegetable or legumes based. I found the book gives a blueprint that allows me to make some kind of soup out of what is on hand. I also found the "Sandy's Great Lentil Soup with Greens and Garlic" to be a completely fresh, nutritious take on lentils and simple to boot. The small section on Salads is invaluable. I use the Curried Vinaigrette (for the Curried Lentil Salad with Vegetables) on sandwiches as a spread since it keeps forever. The Mexican Corn and Avocado Salad with the Cilantro Vinaigrette gets raves every time and satisfies my Avocado cravings. I couldn't do without this one. It's a good read too with lots of stories and info imbeded in the text.
on 10 April 1998
This cookbook is probably the most-used and best of all in my kitchen, and I have about 50. You don't need to doubt one word of what Ms. D writes, all of these recipes (I've tried almost all of them) are unbelievably delicious. All are dinner-party worthy. I have had the best compliments from guests and hubby for the soups, above any other part of the meal. My only complaint: she's such a purist about fresh ingredients, particularly broth, that I felt really guilty using canned broth. Sorry but I just don't have the time to make fresh chicken broth!! She's right of course, but not everyone can spend all day in the kitchen. This cookbook is EXCELLENT.
on 31 October 1998
Even with a large collection of cookbooks, during the autumn, when we are ready for soups, this book is the one that I consult. The recipes are very complete. It does not contain beef recipes but with the large selection I haven't missed the beef selection. However, this is not just a recipe collection. It contains many stories about the Inn from which these recipes come from.
on 24 December 1997
If you cook soup regulary, or want to, this is the only soup book you need!! Fully 1/3-1/2 of the book has either explicitly vegetarian recipies or recipies that can be converted with only a single ingredent.
on 28 January 1999
This book not only contains wonderful, usuable recipes, but it also tries to show you how to cook. It gives you the frame for any recipe, and then with what you have on hand you can feel confident to vary, vary, vary to your heart's content. This is the basis of good cooking, not whether or not you can follow a complicated "conde nast" recipe. In rural Japan it is very difficult to get so many ingrediants people take for granted (fresh dill? out of the question) so this flexibility is very important.
on 6 April 2015