Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 October 2013
I bought this book last year and finally got round to reading it a few weeks ago.
It wasn't what I expected.

I was expecting to see far more positive affirmations of the question "Why Jesus?"
Instead, this book is mostly a critique of a broad understanding of "spirituality" - what we might call being spiritual but not religious. It covers topics such as hinduism, buddhism and particularly the works of Deepak Chopra.

Zacharias targets many "Eastern" understandings of spirituality and critiques them. As a novice in many of these areas however, I either had no idea what he was on about, or the people he was discussing. Sometimes his explanations were as vague as the philosophies he was seeking to refute. A greater use of footnotes would have helped, just to reinforce the points he was making. (He often relies on a mix of anecdote and research/academic works, but the latter isn't always as clear as one may like).
Interesting as learning new things are, most of what he wrote about has no bearing on my daily experiences - I'm not sure this book was for me, but for another person they may find it very beneficial. I mostly took away general principles about objective truth, worldview-building and why religious pluralism ("all paths lead to God") fails, rather than more positive reasons in how to share Jesus.

The main problem I found with this book was that I got 3/4 of the way in and was still left wondering about the question "Why Jesus?". He does expose religious pluralism very well, but his positive message about Christianity and the uniqueness of Jesus Christ was weak I think. It appeared almost rushed, stuck in the last 3 chapters of the book. He did, however, provide a mini-appendix of fairly standard apologetic works about the reliability of the Bible at the back that would be helpful if you've never encountered such works before.

I wouldn't recommend this book to a non-Christian, but perhaps read it if you have friends who would consider themselves spiritual but not religious, or influenced by Eastern understandings of religion and God.
on 15 October 2013
I bought this book on behalf of my Christian friend. He was very pleased with it. The book effectively discusses why Christianity can't be mixed with other spiritual ideas and the claims that Jesus is the only way to God.
on 11 September 2014
I found the first half of the book very difficult to follow, perhaps due to my lack of knowledge of Eastern culture. However the second half of the book more than made up for the difficulty I experienced. The second half of the book gave a wonderful defence and rationality of the Christian world view and the shallowness of the alternative. I would recommend reading this book and feel I personally will gain a better understanding following a further read.
on 11 January 2016
This book covers a large range of issues faced by Christians in all walks of their faith. Sometimes the language is quite formal, but persevere because there is a lot of essential insight available to anyone that wants to know why Jesus is the answer.
on 30 August 2013
the book is very clear and exposes us to the deception out there.i really like the book.it gives meaning to a lot of things happening around us.
However,it was a little boring and all over the place in the first few chapters
on 17 March 2015
Hard hitting and blunt! To the point with some great insights, very insightful re: New Age / Spirituality and context of the history of Easton Spirituality and Religions.
on 16 September 2013
brilliant book .i have this on audio and in print form.i would recomend any of ravi zacharias' books for reading.cheers.
on 9 September 2015
Must read, Jesus is good. wonderful teacher
on 15 October 2014
Thoroughly enjoyed reading it
on 18 December 2014
Great insight to the saviour