on 1 April 2009
This book definitely met my expectations if not more. The detailed accounts of Rick Strassman's experiments with DMT are truely amazing to read and leaves you wanting more. I was totally surprised by the sheer amount of hoops and red tape that Rick had to get through in order to initiate the experiments, but thankfully his dedication pulled off. If you're interested in "out of bod experiences", hallucinogens and have spiritual beliefs you; will find this book an eye opener.
on 30 June 2011
Interesting books, the personal stories and trips were compelling.
At times to much technical data for the common reader, but worth reading.
on 24 July 2009
This is an important book but, like much that is revolutionary, I think there is a lot that is wrong here. But if the author is just 20% right he deserves congratulations. I am not sure that there were sound grounds for restricting subjects to those who have a history of recreational drug use. This could effect the results as there is a definite personality type that takes drugs. My current view is that Strassman is absolutely right about the importance of the pineal gland but possibly places too much emphasis on the DMT molecule in isolation. This is due to the fact that he started out with an assumption regarding psychedelics - and it seems likely to me that the hallucinations are more likely to be unfortunate side effects of the brutal approach rather than the purpose and essence of the natural effect. However, people only learned about the physiology of scuba diving by jumping in and overdosing on depth. Slowly, the patterns did emerge and so they will here.
Great work and a well written book!
on 24 February 2014
What an amazing read. This book is fantastic, if you have seen the documentary you MUST read the book too. The documentary and the book are two completely different things, there was SO MUCH in the book that was left out of the documentary, all the good bits. The documentary wasn't even made by Dr Strassmen, they just took some parts of the book and made an attractive movie, which i enjoyed but i would highly recommend the book too.

Having tried DMT myself several times, this book has really helped me understand where the place i visit every time i use DMT is and how i can use these tools to further enhance my consciousness.
on 27 March 2014
What most people would want to read about in this book are the actual sessions. But this starts only in part IV and constitutes less than one third of the book: 112 pages out of 345. The sessions are part of the main narrative and the rest of the book deals with the context in which those sessions took place. The entire first half of the book describes in excruciating details the way the experiments were conducted and all the difficulties the author met before he could realize his dream of conducting a clinical research that would be approved by the DEA and be adequately funded.

While reading this extraordinary book I could sense a feeling of mounting exasperation and disappointment. I am not sure if this originated in me or was being transferred by the author. It might actually be a combination of both. For it seems we both had the same expectations in terms of what DMT could do for spiritual development. This was actually the main reason why I purchased this book in the first place. I wanted to read about the spiritual experiences that various subjects might have had under the influence of DMT. If you share this interest you might ultimately be disappointed like I was, and apparently like Strassman was himself after discovering that the intense experiences of DMT had often only short term effects.

I believe the difficulty might have something to do with the variety of subjects that were selected for this project. My impression, and this is only an impression for I have no direct experience with DMT, is that in order to achieve accelerated spiritual development with DMT one might need to be highly spiritual to begin with. When I write this I have in mind Alex Grey for example who has experienced DMT extensively and has put it to good use in his highly spiritual paintings.

So when viewed from the angle of spirituality this project can be considered a complete failure. But a very useful one, for this is only the beginning. Strassman opened the doors of perception for the medical authorities and his experience will eventually be used as the foundation of a new programme to investigate the potential value of psychedelic drugs to treat mentally ill patients. If that indeed becomes a reality one day Strassman will have accomplished a great deal of his goal.

But if you expect the author to recount his own experiences with DMT, or other psychedelic drugs, you might be frustrated because he did not share with us whatever direct experience he might have had himself. I mention this because I know that many of us would have appreciated very much if Strassman had recounted at least some of the most valuable experiences he might have gone through and if he had compared them with those of his volunteers or others.

Ultimately what you will get from this book will depend of you and your own expectations. I guess it was the same for all those who participated in this extraordinary experiment.
on 18 November 2013
I had read a little about the subject matter before reading this book so I had an inkling that it would be a great read. Obviously the mysteries of DMT that Strassmann explores are incredible and worthy of a book in themselves, I was surprised at how engaging a read this story was in terms of Strassmann's own trials and tribulations. I expected a great book but it far surpassed all my expectations. Must read!
on 19 April 2014
Absolutely mind-blowing revelations in this book that turn the term 'hallucination' upside down.
I'd never heard of DMT until I stumbled upon a blog about Ayahuasca while perusing Graham
Hancock's site. I just did a little searching and it 'opened up doors' for me to this phenomenon.
I'll be reading the follow-up 'Inner Paths to Outer Space' hot on the heels of this one most certainly.
on 15 November 2013
I found this book very interesting and easy to read. Would recommend it to anyone who is interested in spirituality or even psychedelic drugs as it gives an interesting view on drug taking instead of the usual propaganda.
on 3 October 2014
Very informative.
on 7 February 2016
Dr Strassman was responsible for carrying on tests with a drug called DMT, this drug stimulates the pineal gland. The drug had the effect of a very strong psychedelic trip that would end in a about fifteen minutes. Strangely the subjects were reporting trips that were akin of the people who reported alien abduction or the shamanic experience. The DMT, which is a substance that our body products naturally could be the gateway to access other dimensions and facilitate the understanding our mystical capacities.