Customer reviews

on 6 August 2008
I admire John Perkins and his work for many reasons . . . not least that he dares to tell the truth. This book is for those who know that we, humans, both individually and collectively have to change how we see life and live it. John's words give us hope . . . and a very real alternative.

In this insightful book he suggests that our current human society is largely run by what he calls faithless dominators, as compared to faithful shapeshifters. Throughout the book he contrasts the predominant mental controlling attitudes with those of the true shapeshifters . . . such as the shamans of the Amazon and other indigenous peoples. Whilst most of us are brought up to believe in the strength and cleverness of humans, these wise men, elders not just of their respective tribes, but of our species, know that we have no real power. However, they also know that by allowing ourselves to take on other forms (either metaphorically or physically) we can work wonders. This is the essence of shapeshifting.

If I have one criticism of this book it's that, although it includes a few shapeshifting exercises for us to try, there are only a few of these, and they are buried within the text. This is perhaps because the book is written as a story . . . an action packed adventure, no less.

Indeed it is the tale of John's own personal journey from faithless dominator to shapeshifter, include first-hand and true accounts of some stunning occurrences and miraculous healings. In sharing such stories John helps us to see that although mind-boggling in their scope, shapeshifting ways are available to us all: whether we want to win at hide and seek . . . or transform our whole way of doing business.
on 14 November 1997
"Only a handful of visionaries have recognized that indigenous wisdom can aid the transition to a sustainable world. John Perkins' wonderful story of life among the shamans brings great insight for an industrial civilization consuming and polluting itself toward catastrophy." --- Submitted by Edgar Mitchell, Sc.D., Apollo 14 astronaut, Founder, Institute of Noetic Sciences
on 4 December 1998
John Perkins is a master story teller, and it is impossible to read his book without grieving for values and knowledge our country has sacrificed for greed and environmental devastation. There is more to life, and the Shamans of Ecuador appear to know how to access it. After you read the book, your next desire will be to book a trip to the Amazon with Perkins.
on 29 September 1998
Incredible techniques on sharpen observation and alter energy. "All is energy. Energy has certain charactristics that are fluid ...." Also a gives a background about the Mayans.
on 4 August 2016
I had no idea what to expect from this book which was on my reading list for a course- but I really enjoyed the way the author - who is so obviously steeped in western thinking and traditions - is also able to identify with and welcome unusual theories from other cultures. This book made me see that I too have made shapeshifts in my life - especially in my career choices - which suddenly meant that this concept wasn't alien to me at all, but something I have already had experience of. Therefore, my eyes have been opened to how this concept might be part of my life and I am grateful I was encouraged to buy this book.
on 15 May 1998
The longer I live, the more I realize the importance of supportive energy in our lives. "Shapeshifting" has inspirered me to examine the value of the way we live our lives in our culture. I recomend this book for anyone who has the instinct to realize that our culture could live a more sustainable life. This book is for people who are ready to stop complaining about the things wrong in our lives, and instead, shapeshift into a positive future.
Kevin Bethel MD CM
on 10 October 2014
The pages just flowed, forget about sleeping when I had this transformative book in my hands. Yes, I am changed. My worldview has shape-sifted. How will it take me, these shifts in my personal world and the global world of nature of which we are all a part? I am interested to watch and heed.
Off now to explore other books by John Perkins....
on 13 September 2011
Once again John Perkins has outdone himself.
This book is for those who feel they need to chameleon themselves to get ahead in life.
If you want to lean about transformation and how to improve yourself, learn from the best out there.
A MUST read!
on 23 August 1998
A must read. Its time we had a collective shapeshift in our beliefs of Mother Earth. Its time to put aside greed and start renewing the earth and purifing her. If we don't,she will reclaim herself in ways we do not understand. EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT READING.
on 4 October 2014
ARRIVED FINE. HAVEN'T READ IT YET AS IT'S A PRESENT FOR SOMEONE. THANKS.