Customer reviews

on 30 April 2001
The advice contained in this book is sensible, but as a UK Citizen I found it virtually impossible to equate what "stage" my teenager might be at. The book did not talk about ages but focused almost exclusively on the educational stage the teenager was at. Having absolutely no knowledge of how these stages equate to British educational stages I found myself struggling to try and figure out roughly how old the kids were supposed to be at each "stage". Consequently I gave up at chapter eight. What a shame the author couldn't have used rough ages instead of school "grades".
on 21 December 1998
I work at a high school and have three teenagers of my own. I have heard Michael speak at a parenting forum and have read his books. He really understands what makes them tick and understanding a teen is the first step to less stressful parenting. This is a must own for anyone who is feeling frustrated by their own teenagers.
on 19 September 1998
Never before have I embraced a book like Uncommon Sense for Parents with Teenagers. As I read through each page, I found myself confronted with the fact that I was not acknowledging there were specific forces within every teenager at play pushing them to disengage from his/her parents and become responsible, independent individuals. I have given this book many times to friends who are challenged by behaviors of their teenagers. This book has allowed me to take a good look at not only my teenager but myself and parenting style. What I wanted was to move through these turbulent years with a sense of understanding and love and enjoy the moments my teenager brings to me on a daily basis. Reading this book has focused me to step back and process my thoughts before I respond based on my own upbringing. Today, I am buying two more books for friends who I know could use Mr. Riera's frank and honest disclosures about teenagers.
on 19 May 1997
For parents of teens who are struggling with this new aspect of life and who have forgotten their own "teen years", please do yourself a favor and read this book. A very insightful look at what teens face in the realm of high school and in their social lives. My daughter, age 15, read parts of this book as well, and thought the author was very accurate in his depiction of what goes on in a teen's life. It's definitely made a change in the way I respond to my teenager. Dr. Riera...I hope another book is on the way!
Thank you!
Laurie Eads, FL
on 8 August 1998
This book helps me to see my teenaged son as a human moving through an incredibly difficult time. But, more importantly, it helps me to disengage the parenting techniques that worked when he was younger, but are totally inappropriate now. I've stopped blaming myself, and doing those lame swings between strictness and giving up. Michael Riera explains this transition beautifully, and takes all the war out of the parent-teen relationship. Not just a book, but a genius-level act of compassion and generosity!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 17 March 1999
I have purchased and read many of the books out there on raising teenagers. Many of them promise a lot, but deliver very little, so I buy another and another. This book covers it all. The author knows what parents want, but also gets inside the heads of our teenagers and explains what they want, and more importantly, how they perceive our rules, desires, and opinions of them. It took away some of the fear I had about going through this phase of life as a parent. It allowed me to more clearly understand exactly what my son was trying to say, even when he didn't use the exact words I would have expected. Consequently, our discussions have been much more fruitful. I cannot recommend this book highly enough.
on 13 July 1999
This book has helped me make a 180 degree shift in how I view my teenager and my role as parent. In the past, when in a conflict with my son, I would react in frustration. Now, I'm able to look at him as a human on the winding, uneven path to becoming a mature adult. Instead of feeling frustrated, and thus reacting in an angry unproductive way, I find I want to help him learn to be an adult. He doesn't always like what I do to 'help' him, but he will someday...
on 2 December 1998
I'm a teenager and I heard about this book on Oprah. I couldn't beleive the logic of it--it was so right on target and logical. EVERY parent should read this book for understanding and a new, sensable(but different) outlook. It introduces topics like let them leave their room messy. Many parents won't agree, but that's okay, but, at least, for your child's sake. read the book.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse