on 12 August 2013
Setting aside - for a moment - the debate about the politics of psychiatry, especially the state of American health care and the imperative to attach a diagnostic label to human suffering, as these issues are well addressed elsewhere, this book is massively over-priced for the quality of the product. I have its predecessor, the Quick Reference to DSM-IV-TR, and the print quality has plummeted. Looking at some pages, especially those with chapter headings, I began to wonder whether the pages have simply been photocopied. There is uneven ink distribution, especially where text has background shading. Text frequently shows through from the reverse page, as the book is made with flimsy paper, which contrasts with the thicker, shiny paper of the DSM-IV-TR Quick Reference. On day one of possessing the book, in folding back the pages for a proper look at the small-font print, I became concerned that the pages showed signs of coming loose from the binding. Bear in mind that this is a "Desk Reference", which must, by definition, be intended for regular use. I fear that the book will not stand up to reasonable wear and tear. Please not also that some of the codes, both in this book and the full version, are wrong. See the DSM website for coding corrections. All in all, and now including the politics of psychiatry, this leaves me wondering just how professional the American Psychiatric Association really is.

Update: I've been looking at the reviews on the US version of Amazon. Any fears I had about appearing to be over-reacting to the print quality and poor binding have disappeared. Lots of US reviewers have said the same thing, even suggesting that the American Psychiatric Association has deliberately bound the book poorly to increase replacement purchases. Kind of adds to my concerns about professionalism. Several reviewers took their copies to places which ring-bind books very cheaply. I don't know whether this is possible in the UK. Now I know why my book came bubble-wrapped, which struck me as odd at the time.
on 22 March 2017
I got this Book..This is quite handy and relevant to my exams. I bought it via International Book store and it was a reasonably good service..The book was in good condition and I have enjoyed reading and benefitting from it.
on 12 December 2013
This looks as thought it has been copied...print a bit fuzzy and it was posted from India. Not sure I will keep it.
on 7 August 2017
Good print.....no surprices... !
on 29 April 2015
The manual arrived earlier than anticipated. The price through this seller was considerably better than other sites. The manual was clearly new and in plastic wrap. About a dozen of the pages were folded (not dog-eared, more like the manual had been closed that way during manufacturer packaging) but this was easily remedied. I agree with other reviewers that the quality of the print is considerably lower than previous manuals, but the bottom line is that this is meant to be a functional, not aesthetic, product. I do like that ICD codes, and coding explanations, are included next to diagnostic codes. Unless one is completely unfamiliar with clinical diagnostics, I can't imagine why one would drop $$ for the inflated cost of the full manual. This is all you need. I will follow the advice of other reviewers, however, and get this spiral-bound.
on 20 August 2017
Note - the book has been updated. It is still the most degrading and dehumanising way of describing complex human beings living lives nobody has a right to dissect in this way. The contributors have aped the psychiatric diagnostic manual which has many many critics in a bid to make it seem more scientifically credible. It reflects their own backgrounds which have residues of the old need for categorising an labelling so loved in the 19th century. Modern practitioners would not benefit from being too influenced by it when what real people suffering in the real world are demanding a respectful open and dare we say - human therapy , a relationship between clients and therapists. This project is far from being that. Although the economic/political issues have been trivialised - note that a diminishing minority of people would be in any case in receipt of anything like the process described in theis book - the mental health services in UK are falling apart - therapists after training on clients for free in the NHS move into private highly paid practice, in USA most of the contributors are paid $100 - $150 p.h
on 4 December 2014
Useful reference tool and arrived promptly. I accept the criticisms of other reviewers that the standard of print and paper may not be sufficiently good for very regular use but for my occasional use it's fine
on 17 January 2014
This is a must for anyone working in the Speciality. It is reasonably priced and essential to have a personal copy rather than depend on its availability in the Department.
on 20 October 2014
Quite poor in terms of print quality to the point where it reminds me of illegally printed books you can buy abroad but reasonably priced.
on 9 November 2014
a very handy size, much better than the normal sized one and a necessary part of my job.