on 11 April 2001
I'd been wavering between buying Serpant's Shadow or buying Beyond World's End (also by Mercedes Lackey). I think I made the right choice. The characters were all new and were well developed. The book is set in 1909's London and unusually for an American author shes got it as close to right as most British authors. I found the plot to be clear and the integration with the character development was very smooth. The best bits? The really Victorian males, I can think of a few who are still remarkably like that now but these just walked off the page.
on 31 March 2001
This book must be read as two books. Mercedes Lackey has written a good book about London in the early 1900 and her heroine Dr. Maya meets all the usual characters expected child pickpockets, prostitutes, battered women, drunks, etc. But she never digs deep enough for us to feel that we really know this London of hers. Then she goes for the magic and fantasy we expect from her and the two just don't mesh. Because she is so busy exploring London her characters are like cardboard cutouts and it leaves you feeling that this book is just a review and surely more must come. But suddenly in the last few pages she becomes the Lackey we all know and love and the story just zips along. Maybe she will take the characters in this book and write another story for them with London as just a background and not ANOTHER story.
on 12 May 2016
A great series of books reimagining classic fairy tales into something a little different - a lovely world setting with the existence of mages hidden within society. At times the stories can feel a little clichéd and as you go through the series the nature of 'magic' and individual relationships with it seems to change for no explained reason but nonetheless these are well written books that tend to build tension slowly and, like the fairy tales from which they derive, have some interesting moral dilemas.
on 11 December 2014
not my favourite of the elemental masters series although I have still read it several times! It tells of the difficulties a female doctor of the time faced with the added complication of her mixed race ancestry. Add in a malicious aunt and a romance and you get a very entertaining read.
on 4 March 2015
Just been re-reading my copy of Serpent's Shadow - and couldn't put it down. The criticism about the 'tenner' is because the other reviewer doesn't seem to know about the 'ten bob note', which would truly have been about twice the price of a cab ride Lackey's use of British English is a lot better than many American writers. The story involves a half Indian, half English Earth mage and qualified doctor, who comes to England in 1909, ahead of a vengeful aunt who happens to be a very powerful priestess of Kali. She hides herself in the East End and works mainly in charity clinics, but her aunt's actions bring them both to the attention to London's White Lodge and its bigoted Master. None the less, all ends happily for Maya (the doctor).
on 25 March 2004
I reviewed this book in 200l and gave it two stars and I was wrong. I have reread it several times and I was drawn into the characters and the scenes in London in the 1900s. The magic fits in very smoothly and you won't be able to put it down.
My first review was a result of reading all Mercedes Lackey's books together and that is a mistake because she doesn't write the same book over and over. So ignore my first review, buy the book and enjoy.
on 4 March 2016
As always Mercedes Lackey is superb! I don't know where she gets her ideas from but, please Misty, keep them coming!
We are all, and me specifically, grateful for all you write,
thankyou very much.
on 6 August 2015
Lovely
on 10 October 2010
The elemental masters series are all so different and yet all so good. Brilliant as usual from Merceded Lackey
on 27 October 2014
British termanology dropped in with no real idea what is needed. A tener for a hackney fare? You must be Joking. Also if you want to know more about lord peter please read dorothy l sayers since mistys lord peter appears to been been taken in one piece from there. a homage is one thing. this is something else
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse