on 11 September 2016
Sometimes in your life, you have a strange and intricate dream, full of meaning, that never leaves you. This book is like that. It's a real knockout. The part where the man loses his child in the supermarket is heart stopping (and I don't have kids). You think you know how the book will pan out after that episode, but it is about far more. His writing is brilliant. It's marvellous.
on 29 September 2017
I can honestly say that I really enjoyed this book. I was expecting it to be more about Kate's disappearance but it was more about how her father coped. I felt it dipped a bit in the middle and spent perhaps a little bit too much time in committee meetings! Other parts I thoroughly enjoyed and thought the ending superb. All in all a good read
on 10 January 2013
I read this for my book club and out of five of us only two of us liked it. It starts off quite dull and unpromising, but if you can get into it and start to accept the academic style, then it is very well written and I really enjoyed it. I devoured it in three sittings and loved that the ending is not a Hollywood style saccharine story but a true-to-life, honest ending. It is quite a depressing book (which is why our book club didn't like it) and the themes are challenging, but I like that in a book and I'd like to read more of this author.

It isn't really about a child going missing though; I thought the blurb was misleading on that front. It is more about the aftermath of a child going missing, and it is not about the search for the child.

Definitely worth reading depsite the very dull first chapter!
on 9 October 2017
I very rarely, if ever, find that the TV or film version of a book is better than the original, but this is one of those occasions. I read a lot of books and often stay up very late (or is it early) to finish them. This book did not engage me at all, and it was finished as more of a duty than a pleasure.
on 2 October 2017
Read this and never forget it. I find McEwan's work very patchy, but this is probably the best thing he ever wrote. A haunting, beasutiful, brave and heart shattering book. If you are coming to this after having seen the TV drama with Benedict Cumberbatch, relish the beauty and the exquisite delination of love and grief. If reading this before daring to watch the TV drama - be assured. Bioth are worth the tears and the compassion.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 29 September 2017
Thought it was a book about a missing / abducted child . Turns out to be a story in which a child goes missing and other stuff some political ... some confusing and frustrating senarios ... that make you annoyed and thinking ... so what’s the explanation for that and why are the characters being so airy fairy about what’s happening to their friends and relationship s
on 30 September 2017
So I know this is not really about the child disappearing but the effect on the couple but you just want a hint about what might of happened all the way though the story and can't help feeling disappointed at the end. It just seems too easy that the daughter was "replaced" by the new child and everyone lives happily ever after. But as ever with McEwan, well written story with interesting twists and story lines.
on 15 October 2017
I was engrossed in the first third but then lost interest and it was a week later before I started reading again. The middle section was slow but it picked up at the end. Anyone reading should do so for a story on coping with grief rather than any time travel aspects. I have read some of his other books and will probably read others in the future.
on 2 October 2017
The earliest Ian McEwan I've read. Wanted to read the novel before watching the tv dramatisation. Can see why viewers were confused as there is a lot of introspection about the meaning of time and loss not easy to put across in a short play.
on 31 January 2018
The language used makes it bot by to read. I find he describes each minute detail too much and the book doesn't feel like it's going anywhere. I also doesn't give much of an indication that it is proceeding with the story line.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse