on 25 April 2001
I have just got my copy...... Had a quick look through and now I am almost scared to open it again.....
I didn't realise that chickens got so many illnesses!
I am very impressed.
There is a bit about each disease, what it looks like and how to treat it. There are some very useful sections in the middle for you to determine what sort of illness your chicken might have. These sections are divided into, for example,Diseases Causing Sores in the Mouth; Diseases Causing Breathing Difficulties; Diseases involving movement etc..etc.. so that if you get the six or so diseases which involve movement you can look to see which it is that your chicken has and if possible get treatment quickly.
There is a section involving post mortems at the back which is just too scary at the moment, but I will get to it.
It's definitely one for the bookshelf, there if you need it but hopefully you won't.
0Comment| 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
HALL OF FAMETOP 500 REVIEWERon 8 June 2010
Having invested a lot of good money in a large flock of over 500 chickens, I was at pains to see that every aspect of their welfare, care and diet was of the best possible quality. I must have been doing something right because my eggs quickly became much sought after. As with all new ventures, however, the honeymoon ended just as soon noticed one of my birds was unwell.

With replacing any sick bird being a far cheaper option than vets bills, it soon became a question of either culling or curing. This book is fairly comprehensive when it comes to poultry health and has proved to be one of the best books on the subject I was able to find. Subjects range from Diet, anatomy, health, parasites, diseases, environment, rats, incubation, brooding and so forth. As I say, fairly comprehensive.

It is very difficult to read a book of this type from cover to cover - although there are sections which should be read and understood by all poultry keepers. Readers will, however, be consulting this book in the hope of finding an answer to something specific. It is important, therefore, to find the symptoms displayed by a sick bird adequately described so that the reader is able to identify the problem and be certain that his diagnosis is correct. Generally speaking, I did find the information to be there, but finding that description of a specific illness, disease or whatever was the hardest part. This can become frustrating - especially when you want to get on and find the correct remedy.

In short, I would suggest this is a very good book. I believe it really does contain the answers to the many and varied questions people will have about the health of their birds but finding that answer did prove to be very difficult at times.

I would, therefore, suggest the serious keeper studies this book over a period of time in order to form a solid appreciation of everything concerned with the health of their Chickens.

NM
on 9 January 2004
The actual contents of the book I have found to be of limited use and not very practiculy set out. I have a flock of about 50 exotic breed chickens which are not only valuabe but also my pets. When I have had problems I have not once found the answers in the book in fact it does not seem to have any answers to anything. In all fairness I do not live in the US and I am not familiar with the laws on vetinary practices, however, there is not a single treatment for any diseases given in this book. I would have thought it would have been a better book if the diseases were grouped more sensibly and some treatments were given. I`m sure it is an interesting book to read but as an instrument for managing chickens I, personaly, am not impressed. Sorry.
0Comment| 72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 4 May 2017
It's ok
on 6 September 2010
A very informative book, probably the most informative and comprehensive book on the keeping of hens we have seen. Promptly delivered,
on 29 June 2005
bought it for my dad an avid "fancier". he loves it. claims it is the only place that tells it straght about real world diseases etc. has saved the lives of at least 3 birds and he only keeps abot 20 at a time. buy it. is well worth it.
p
on 22 September 2014
A much needed and useful reference for my garden flock of 10.
on 8 December 2008
This book is an excellent reference for the amateur chicken keeper giving a reasonable comprehensive coverage of most of the problems you are likely to encounter.
However if you are expecting a cookbook reference of diseases and a magic medication to cure it then you are going to be disappointed. In truth life's never that simple but it does contain some sound advice. The layout takes a bit of getting used to but once you understand the way the subjects is classified it becomes a lot easier to find your way around. The index is extensive and because of the way the subject's broken down each ailment may have several page references which can be a bit confusing to start with for example Marek's Disease has 10+ page references because it is refered to under chapters on Health, Anatomy, External Parasites, Infectious Diseases, Incubation & Brooding, Diseases & Disorders, Diagnostic Guides etc. You should also bear in mind that this is primarily writen from a US perspective so some of the information covering regulation or regional disease distribution for example is of no use to a UK reader. Additionally the chapter on post mortem diagnosis while useful for the large flock keeper is of little use for the small backyard keeper.
Having said all this once you master the layout it does have some very useful information and I would recommend any chicken keeper to have a copy on their bookshelf except if you have a tendancy to Hypochondria.
on 18 January 2016
its ok but this book is not really aimed at the UK keeper. It would be more relevant to USA keepers but for UK keepers there are better books.
on 8 November 2015