on 16 February 2015
There's lots of fun ideas in this book, from crafts, games, and outdoor fun, but I have to say I would imagine the average person could dream up about 75% of them! Having said that, as a parent, you do lose many brain cells, so having this to grab when you're at a loss comes in very handy.
on 16 March 2010
There may be a few activities in this book that have been around for a while - but my toddler is now nearly forty and I'd forgotten most of them. So, this Grandma is delighted with the ideas in the book and so too is my Grandson.
One of the simplest - hanging small toys on short lengths of string (I used brightly coloured shoe laces) then taping them to the high chair tray so that toddler can throw them off and haul them back (under supervision, of course) - is just brilliant.
There are lots of ideas I've already used and I'm looking forward to using the ideas for older toddlers as my Grandson grows - I love this little book.
on 9 July 2001
This book is amazing. I could not put it down. The ideas are so brilliant. Full of simple, easy, fun games and activities. i have already tried several of the ideas, and my Son and I had great fun together. I have recommended this book and the Pre-schoolers version to everyone i know. Please read it, you'll be glad you did.
on 19 February 2010
Oh dear - I am really disappointed with this book.
I read the positive reviews and was really excited to be filled with new inspiration for fun with my toddler, but I just got the book & had a quick flick through - and I give you a quote "Give your toddler a box of tissues and let them pull them out one by one"! or "Blowing bubbles with bought bubble mix & straws" or "Finger painting" or "Fill a baloon with helium and let the toddler watch it go up & down" or "ask your toddler "Can you find your knee" or "bath time play - fill bath tub with water and put plastic toys in" or finally "as you drive along recite a nursery rhyme" I mean really it actually makes me laugh. So to be to the point - if you are a normal Mum you will have already thought about 85% of what is in this book - and the other 15% is so messy you might not want to do it. Save your money.
77 Comments| 231 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 February 2011
As a stay at home mum I was looking for a book with things to do with a toddler. After reading the reviews I was a bit unsure of what to do because I didn't want to pay out for something full of completely obvious things....but then was desperate for new ideas too!!

However putting things in perspective the book was about £6 which is comparable to taking my toddler out to one swimming lesson and I then thought that really the book only needs to have a couple of gems in it to warrant a purchase. If I got a couple of afternoons of fun out of it then ok by me!

There are some really obvious things in this book that you would probably do anyway. Some ideas are also a bit disappointing because singing a nursery rhyme etc isnt exactly the great time filling activity idea that mums would want or need to pay for so these type of ideas let the book down and i can see why some have rated it low.But then there are those few interesting ideas that you might not have thought of and for that it's worth a quick read. Definitely contains some material to create some magical fun with your special little people.

So a large proportion of the book may seem obvious and as a mum you would do most of it anyway...but if you can accept that you may just pick up a handful of new ideas too which could lead to some good fun times.
on 3 February 2001
We only received this book a couple of days ago but already my toddler & I have done some lovely things suggested in the book. Our favourites so far have included: - freezing small toys and flowers in ice cubes and watching them melt in the bath, - making wonderful pictures by dipping a golf ball in paint and rattling the ball around in an old shoe box, - and, very simply, sticking masking tape to the carpet to make a pathway and walking along hand-in-hand singing.
22 Comments| 160 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 August 2007
Unlike some of the other reviewers, I wasn't born with an innate ability to entertain toddlers (even tho I have a Fine Art Degree!)So I found this book very useful. Its true that all 365 activities aren't exactly mind blowing but there are some real gems & the others can be easily adapted to suit you & your child. My daughter is very active & easily bored & frustrated & I found this book to be a great springboard, using Trish Kuffner's ideas as inspiration to create our own special type of fun. I enjoyed the Americanism of the book as, for example, it lists & explains some holidays we don't have in the UK. For anyone lost in toddler tantrums & frustrations, if you only take one piece of advice from this book, let it be this... (try to)"relish the toddler years, because like the fingerprints on the wall, they will be gone before you know it."
on 12 October 2002
In the USA we generally refer to a child as being a "toddler" between the ages of 18 months and 3 years of age. However, my 5-year-old "preschooler" enjoys many of the activities in this book as well as his almost 2-year-old sister. I have learned that the best "gift" a parent can give a child is his/her undivided attention for a period of time. I have personally found that by spending one-on-one time with each of my children, even if only for 5-10 minutes one or two times a day, there is a positive change in the daily demeanor and degree of cooperation I get. They look forward to it. It's not that I can't think of things to do with my children, but on one of those really bad days (I'm sure you know what I mean), it's a big help to get some creative simple ideas to choose from at a glance. Also, this book comes in handy when a play-date becomes boring or unfriendly. When I am able to redirect the unhappy kids to the kitchen table for a "mommy supervised activity" from this book, the enthusiastic smiles almost always instantly return. When my daughter was born, and big brother's jealousy was on the rise, I used many ideas in this book for the much appreciated "mommy/big brother time" and "daddy/son time" without baby sister. I learned about the importance of one-on-one time with my children in "The Pocket Parent," my compassionate A-Z trouble-shooting guide that has saved my sanity many times. These two books have brought more peace to our family, more cooperation from our children, and more ways for us to enjoy one another.
Also recommended: THE POCKET PARENT: Hundreds of fast answers for parents and teachers of 2's, 3's, 4's, & 5's
and THE PRESCHOOLER'S BUSY BOOK (by the same author if you're needing more great activity ideas)
on 4 November 2008
I come back to this book again and again. The people who criticise it are, as they admit, already doing these things with their toddlers. Though I doubt it... there are so many good activities. The fact is, most of us are not doing these things - other things and the older children get more attention.

The beauty of the book is that you can quickly look through and something will leap out at you. Or maybe you decide that you'll do an activity, but tailor it to your family in certain ways...

I have an older child and this book reminds me to let the toddler be a toddler - not an issue if this is your first, but a toddler's needs can get squeezed out, and this is the remedy.

Highly recommended.
on 13 January 2010
I would recommend this book to each parent who needs a little help getting through the day with their toddler as in this book there are plenty fun ideas how to pass the time. There is even a 'shopping list' and a planner for each week.