on 6 January 2014
The book sets out to do two things that are very difficult - to cover a broad range of topics around valve amps; and to be technical without being too technical. It makes a pretty good job on the first, although I think the build-your-own section simply cannot be done justice in the space devoted to it. On the second it struggles. Dave Hunter is obviously very knowledgeable and has hands-on experience of many amps (great and not so) but even he cannot explain sophisticated and subtle electronic phenomena when technical analysis is disallowed. If you already have sufficient technical knowledge you can largely read-between-the-lines. If not, you miss out. By far the most interesting part of the book (and entirely justifying the cost of admission) is the section analysing, comparing and contrasting the circuits and construction of classic amps. It is supported by excellent photos of their interior workings, which you can pore over endlessly.
If I could only have one book about tube amps and tone - this would be it. I love the way Dave Hunter writes and his pragmatic view on the vintage hype that's going on in the guitar's and amps-world.

I build tube amps as a hobby and this is the book that got me started. I have other supplementary books like Merlin Blencowe's masterpieces + Morgan jones, but this is explained in an easily understandable manner that let's guitarists and guitar-enthusiasts know how a tube amp creates your beloved guitar sound

Get the book - you'll be be coming back to it time after time (and eventually end up lending it to your guitarbuddies, so they will have the same basis for understanding tube amps as you now do:).
on 6 May 2017
Ideal for getting the idea of amps and their facets, very enjoyable read and reference book which I have gone over some parts twice to get a better understanding
on 19 July 2010
If you own or have an interest in valve guitar amps this book will be like someone turning on the light and opening the curtains. It explains why differing amps sound the way they do in an easy to read format and covers how to modify your amp to get the tone in your head - if you can use a soldering iron SAFELY. Great if you build your own amps, want to experiment or just excellent bed time reading. One for your Christmas or Birthday list!
Chris
on 13 July 2015
Perfect middle ground book for guitar players with basic understanding of valve amps but limited knowledge of the real technical stuff. Great section interviewing the modern boutique designers/makers. Brilliantly laid out and organised material. I really like Hunter's writing style - precise when needs to be but often humorous and entertaining.
on 30 June 2008
This book is exactly what I needed, and indeed much better than I hoped.

I am interested in how a valve amp works - I have built my own from a kit, but I didnt really understand it, I just followed the instructions.

Now I know what the different components do and this book has given me suggestions for possible mods to tweak the sound

The book is extremely well-written, it is not too simplistic, nor too technical, you dont need to know electronics, but you will learn why different amps are designed the way they are.

Its a pleasure to read a book that is neither too dumbed down or aimed solely at people with electronics expertise. Excellent.
on 6 January 2015
Excellent book for the guitarist interested in understanding what makes a good amp and what can improve their tone.

A few principals missing (like how valves work), but perhaps that is out of the scope of this book.

I've bought it as presents for 2 of my guitarist friends and they both agree.
on 22 July 2017
excellent
on 5 March 2015
Nice book
on 2 August 2013
If you use an amp and want to gain knowledge of how it works!.....its worth getting and keeping for future reference?...