Top positive review
2 people found this helpful
Very good look at borderline, how it affects people, and how to unravel the condition within
on 1 September 2015
Very good book, well written, easy to read (as in, not complicated) but very challenging personally and emotionally. Provides a good insightand feel of what Borderline Personality Disorder is, how it affects people, how it's typically caused, how you can begin unravelling the underlying issues which cause it.
What this is/does;
- It is a commentary of all the features of Borderline Personality Disorder. Each chapter has a theme; i.e. Borderline as a self defense mechanism, Self punishment as fear, ..etc. This theme is discussed along with case studies of how that chapters issue can manifest itself.
- About half of the content is written as though TO someone with Borderline (e.g. "If you are Borderline you may feel.. " "This may be the result of your...") Therefore it may help you identify with your own symptoms
- It gives a mixture of perspective from psychological, counselling and clinical psychiatric practice, but without lots of jargon or detailed theory, simply tells you how it is
- One case is followed from beginning to conclusion in blocks throughout, and gives a good example of full-on Borderline issues
For me as I read I began to understand the features and challenges of Borderline, and with that could begin to understand these traits and qualities in others.
- The voice of the text is like speaking to a psychiatrist or GP; it's precise, polite, but clinical - not unfeeling, but not emotive either. It just states how things are
What this is not;
- It's not a self help guide, there are no 'try this' lists, you have to come up with your own approaches from the understanding presented in the text
- It's not a treatment prospectus either. The authors view is simply 'treat the patient, not their symptoms' - i.e. don't get caught up in trying to apply out of the box solutions, understand the particular issues the patient is experiencing (they can be complex multi-faceted) and approach accordingly.