on 3 August 2014
First of all I would like to say that I do believe this is a "Genuine" book that has been written by somebody who really believes the subject material as opposed to someone trying to make a quick buck. But equally in joining Numerology with Tarot the Writer (in this publication at least) evidently hasn't thought things through very well. A big warning sign is that and based the book on Tarot Myth and not Tarot Fact, the writer states "As far as we know Tarot has always been used as a tool for divination", but of course this is completely untrue. Tarot Cards were invented, and used for, games of Gambling and were so for over Three Centuries before they morphed into the "Occult" tool we know today. If this book had been written in the 19th Century then the writer could be forgiven for thinking this but certainly not in 1995.

In simple terms what you will find in these pages is something like this - say for example the cards that are Numbered "Nine", 5 + 4 = 9 so the Writer goes into great detail about the meanings of Five and Four in Numerology thus revealing the meaning of the card. All well and good but what about 7 + 2 - that equals Nine too. Or what about 3 + 6? Or 8 + 1? You see the problem here? Why has the author settled on this particular equation while ignoring the others?
Another basic fallacy that the Writer has made is the number of the cards in History. They make a great deal about the earliest Fourteenth Century origin of Tarot Cards, "The Classic Tarot" as the author calls it, and why the number was set at 78 cards - but of course it WASN'T set at 78 cards at all, this was a development with late Eighteenth Century Occultists who were debunked as hoaxers with the discovery of the Rosetta Stone. The Cary Yale certainly wasn't 78 cards. The Minchiate Certainly isn't 78 cards. The Visconti Sforza had had the "Missing" cards reproduced in the 1970's but the general consensus among experts is that they never existed anyway. How the author has missed such a basic fact as this is truly baffling.
Nevertheless, in conclusion I would say that there is some value here as alternative interpretations to think about but there are equally so many holes in the Writers theory that discretion needs to be employed when using this method.
22 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 9 February 2016
If you're interested in the psychological interpretation of tarot this is a must-read. The author gives very sound reasoning for the interpretation of each card and explains Jungian psychoanalysis along the way, thus you learn about the vast and complex ideas of Jung in bite-sized pieces. The book is good both for reading cover-to-cover or simply looking up a quick interpretation of a card. This is one of the few books on tarot I've kept over the years and keep coming back again and again. It also covers in some depth the minors, which are quite neglected in most other books. All in all, I can say that you'll not be disappointed with this book.
on 17 January 2014
I have recently received this book. When I ordered it there was a risk that it may be written in a difficult to understand way. I need not have worried. I have read a few pages here and there in this book to get a feel of what it says. Tarot as a Way of Life will, I think, (from what I have read already) give me a much clearer understanding of the cards. And possibly a clearer understanding of myself in that process. Thank you to the author Karen Hamaker-Zondag. Lastly, for those who wish to make tarot readings, this book would seem to me to be required reading. Buy it now :)
on 2 January 2016
Excellent little book....I found it very useful and well written, much better than other more famous and acclaimed ones, also it does try to strike a balance between philosophyzing about tarot and actually reading it. I enjoyed reading this book.
on 13 September 2014
Really pleased with this purchase. A truly insightful book without getting so deep that you find your self wondering what the author is on about. If you are interested in the Tarot this book is really worth a read and the Jungian approach really works.
Highly recommend, easy to read book.
on 1 December 2014
A great reference, very insightful. It has just the right depth and comprehensiveness for everyday work with the Tarot. My favorite right after Sallie Nichols's Jung and Tarot: An Archetypal Journey. I use it all the time. Highly recommended.
on 22 April 2013
A really informative and insight-full examination of the Tarot.I have read this book twice since I purchased it and refer to it regularly.. It is a "must have" in your collection of Tarot study reference. For me anyway ! Remember its your journey.
on 14 October 2014
I liked the approach, however the subtitle claiming a Jungian approach is a bit too much since this is barely mentioned.
on 23 November 1998
This is a book that not only tells you what the Tarot cards mean--in plain English--but also gives a concise, credible explanation for why each card means what she says it means. She draws heavily on Jungian psychology in her interpretation of the Major Arcana, and on numerology (filtered through folklore and mythology) for the Minor Arcana, but in both cases she refers directly to what's actually on the cards--helping the reader see them as a coherent symbolic system, not just mysterious pictures. (She mostly uses the Rider-Waite deck, but gives an extended justification for her choice, comparing it symbolically with other popular decks.) I don't know that I necessarily agree with every one of her interpretations--but that's actually one of the book's great strengths. After reading it, I felt that I understood enough of what was going on in the Tarot to begin to have my own opinions. Hamaker-Zondag, who's a noted astrologer, includes a chapter on attempts to combine Tarot and astrology--and concludes that it may not be possible. She also includes straightforward, common-sense advice on how to conduct a reading and lay out the cards--instructions that are far more helpful than those in other Tarot books I've read. The one thing I don't like about this book is the title. It sounds like it's inviting you to join a cult. It's really one of the most feet-on-the-ground introductions you're likely to find.
0Comment| 63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse