on 22 May 2012
Edited and introduced by Dr. Israel Regardie, a man who knew Crowley personally, this extensive collection of selected writings on the Qabalah is presented in three main sections. In part one there is Crowley's essay `Gematria' which is reprinted from `The Temple of Solomon the King', found in The Equinox, volume I, number 5. Gematria is a system based on the relative numerical `Qabalistic' value of words as found in the Hebrew Alphabet. Other forms of the literal Qabalah are `Notariqon', in which every letter of a word is taken from the initials or is an abbreviation of another word; and `Temura' which is a permutation, substituting one letter for another letter in the Alphabet etc. Also included is Crowley's `An Essay upon Number'.
In the second part of the book we find Liber 777 which first appeared in 1909 and is a series of tables showing the relationships or `correspondences' between certain numbers and objects, thoughts, ideas, symbols, elements and planetary spheres; various religions and magical systems - it is a structured, magical and philosophical dictionary.
And finally, in part three, we find `Sepher Sephiroth', which first appeared in The Equinox, volume I, number 8. It is a dictionary, listing hundreds of Hebrew words with their numerical values and equivalent words of the same numeration. This book is an invaluable source of reference!
on 30 June 2007
This rather perplexing (at first glance) work has become a gem I've referred to, and found useful, in the oddest of times.

It's a reference book far more than a reading book (in the same way as a dictionary - you don't read it cover to cover) but the breadth of information it contains is fascinating. The "meat" of the book, as a previous reviewer put it, is an extended table taking as its starting point the numbers O to 32, each of which relate to a path or sphere on the Tree of Life. Each column takes a particular type of thing (a plant, a mineral, gods of various pantheons, or something much more arcane like the later columns - "the Angelic Functions in the World of Yetzirah" probably won't mean much unless you're pretty hardcore!) and slots it into which number / path it best fits under.

For me this has been invaluable in casting new light on the "character" of the paths / spheres, as I have been able to look at the attributions and work backwards to surmise about the path itself. I could have done with more explanation of WHY a particular correspondence has been made: although there are endnotes, it is plain they were bare essentials only. Many columns are written in Hebrew, which is annoying - perhaps if I can't read it it's because I don't know enough to use that column anyway, but you take my point.

The opening essay on Gematria is not only very readable and clear, but written with Crowley's trademark wit and chatty tone, which helped my understanding a mile.

This isn't necessarily a book just for Thelemites (I'm not one), as most occult-minded people will find themselves dipping into it endlessly, especially if you're into talismans (eg, Eclectic Wiccan). But it also isn't a beginner's book, as you'll definitely need some "background" in which to make sense of all this raw data.
on 9 November 2014
Confused!?
on 19 January 2017
I waited a few years before buying 777 because i knew i needed a good grasp of Quabbalah before being able to tackle Crowley and his criptic, very erudite way of writing. This is most definitley not a book you simply read, it needs to be studied, and quite accuratley i might add. It is one of those books that will end up full of pencil notes and bent corners...
on 6 March 2001
I have been looking for something to explain the way I have felt about life for many, many years now, I have been led down many 'empty' roads and up unil recently I felt truly blinkered by reality and the neccessary means to explain exactly what is happening all around us. I am not a ceremonial magician but reading Crowley's work is such an interesting avenue of thought and makes more sense than anything I have ever read before, he has been called a drug fiend, an antichrist and the wickedest man on earth but I believe he was a seeker of the ultimate truth and anyone who is interested in reading about him should take into consideration that this man went to places where so many others would never fear to tread and he went there with such an amazing in depth knowledge and brought back his findings for anyone and everyone to read - that in itself deserves respect for anyone who dares to tread the path of possible insanity for the goal of obtaining higher knowledge is a true hero - occultism isnt for everyone (yet) but Crowley obviously tried within his lifes work to expose the secrets (which is all occultism is anyway - secret knowledge) of the ancients and release the powers that were for song long held by the few, he obviously does not and cannot hold the key for everyone as true enlightenment is such a personal journey but if anyone is looking then I believe certain parts of Crowley's work are a guide map for the soul - well worth reading anyway even if you arent into this kind of stuff.
on 29 July 2011
I like having Crowleys work on my shelf. This book I particulaly like and would recommend it for anyone interested in the deeper aspects of esoterism.
on 18 February 2015
Complex reference, great service
on 15 October 2011
The book came on time and it came in a very good condition. I was very impressed with the service. Marvelous stuff!
on 29 September 2014
wow so much info its unreal
on 10 November 2016
Exactly as I had hoped for