Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 April 1999
This is a book for the ages, and one of Bukowski's best. He alternately looks back on his drunken youth ("Young in New Orleans," Days Like Razors, Nights Full of Rats") and evaluates his painful present ("Ill," "8 count") with an unwavering honesty. At times, the writing has an almost effortless quality that is rare even for Bukowski. Still, his insights remain tough ("Hand-outs"), startling ("Dinosauria, we"), and in places, surprisingly beautiful ("The Bluebird"). This is a richer Bukowski than is available in many of his earler works; the bravado is still there, but it is infused with a new self-awareness. As always with Bukowski, there are obvious throw-aways (what is "My Uncle Jack" about?!), but overall, the effect is that of a fine wine (Bukowskian pun FULLY intended!) aged to perfection. Drink up!
on 31 March 2014
Great Chalres Bukowski at it again! I read plenty of his novels (ham on rye, hollywood, the post office and others) whi are grittier, sometimes interwoven with slapstick and a hefty dose of sarcasm, one of his other poetry books (you get so alone at times that it just makes sense) and I did like this one as well!

The style of the poems in this collection seems a bit more 'real' and 'to the point' like pages of a diary and personal introspections rather than other types of white poetry, even in the other poetry book (you get so alone...) of C.B. I read.

Good read, definitely recommended!
on 28 August 2013
This collection of Bukowski's poetry is a must-read for lover's of his work - there are a lot of fantastic insights in to the poet's life and lifestyle, like his rare depiction of a writer that he actually admired: 'A. Huxley died at 69, much too early for such a fierce talent, and I read all his works but actually Point Counter Point did help a bit in carrying me through the factories and the drunk tanks and the unsavory ladies.'

At other times, he laments how 'we are always asked to understand the other person's viewpoint no matter how out-dated, foolish or obnoxious.' This is Bukowski at his best, with wit and cynicism in abundance - you'll like him. Let's have a look at some of the crazy things that passed through his alcoholic brain and in to the keys of a typewriter.

Let's take this interesting glance at one of the worries that plagued Bukowski as a writer: 'Of course, I may die in the next ten minutes and I'm ready for that, but what I'm really worried about is that my editor-publisher might retire even though he is ten years younger than I.'

I could just keep quoting lines - the work speaks for itself, and if you read enough of it, you'll be hooked. Here's another fine example: 'You know: I'm drunk once again here listening to Tchaikovsky on the radio. Jesus, I heard him 47 years ago when I was a starving writer and here he is again, and now I am a minor success as a writer and death is walking up and down this room smoking my cigars, taking hits of my wine, as Tchaik is working away at the Pathétique, it's been some journey and any luck I've had was because I rolled the dice right.'

Hopefully that's done enough to pique your curiosity - as always, it's well worth a read whether you're new to Bukowski or an old fan just discovering another of his works. His poetry has always been better than his prose, and this is an excellent collection of some of his finest poetry. It comes much recommended from me, anyhow - I'm a big Bukowski fan, which I've mentioned before, and it's one of the best books that I've read.
on 20 December 2015
These poems are fine to dip in and out of. They dip in and out a bit themselves.

Often rather inconsequential thought-doodles they do sometimes feel disposable and easy. The style, you could say, is deceptively simple and conversational - Raymond Carver-like. Or just simple and conversational full stop.

Glimpses of a tough life hard lived with bored moments and weary reflections thrown in. Genuine, unadorned poems, on occasion, deeply touching, though not quite often enough.
on 8 April 1997
In my search for modern relevance among poets, I have only sofar found Bukowski to move my soul. His choice of words is always pure, blunt, and honest, without the vague, meandering, and metaphorical allusions to nature which is so sickly entrenched in most poetry. Perhaps misery loves company, but there is clearly a heart of gold beneath the layers of Bukowski's cynicism. I definitely recommend this!
on 30 May 2016
Last poems. Some of the greatest written there. Master pieces like "blue bird", "spark" and "dinausoria we" prove that Bukowski was not dead when he was writing past seventy years old and that his best works were behind him.
on 8 December 1996
Like any Bukowski there are nuggets of brilliance in this
work, but I found myself wearying of the mass of the
volume: notations and ruminations on the daily events
of a terminally old writer. Worth reading if you've read
everything else by Bukowski.
on 8 July 1996
Though LNOTEP has a couple of poems that are so good that they
make the whole book worth reading, most of the poems are completely
empty-- they just account meaningless little events observed by
the author. Try Run With the Hunted:A Charles Bukowski Reader for
the best of his poetry ,and novels, too!
on 27 August 2015
a truly mesmerising book of poems from the great Bukowski, in particular ' The man with the beautiful eyes' is just astounding. I highly recommend this to any avid readers of poetry and verse.
on 15 September 2011
This is my first Bukowski book and it's just brilliant. I can relate to most of the stuff he's saying which gives me a boost and a smile.