Customer reviews

on 18 October 2012
I've bought many books off Amazon in the past but have only felt compelled to leave a review for this particular item. Prior to this, I'd read a few Bukowski books (namely Ham on Rye, Post Office, Tales of Ordinary Madness, Pleasures of the Lost and Damned) and flicked through a few of his other books that a friend owns (Pulp, You Get So Alone at Times that it Just Makes Sense). Usually, I prefer novels or short stories to poems but this collection is excellent.

It has everything you'd expect from Bukowski. The writing is, in the main, simple but powerful in an efficient way. For me, Buk's main strength as a writer was the uncanny knack he had of describing the rawest of emotions in such few words and it is prevalent throughout this work.

I almost comment on the book itself, it's a beautiful print. Dare I say the print is almost elegant? I also ordered South of No North at the same time as this book and that is the same print.

All-in-all, it's an excellent product. If you're a Bukowski fan, I'd urge you to buy this as I'm sure you'll enjoy it. If you've never read him, I'd recommend this as a good starting point (or maybe Ham on Rye if you prefer novels to poetry).

Thanks Amazon!
on 15 May 2012
I [[ASIN:0876850050 The Days Run Away Like Wild Horses Over the Hills] I have always loved poetry, and when I was young, read an enormous amount by poets from all over the world. But then I stopped for about 20 years. I don't know why. Maybe it had lost its freshness for me, or I found it too disconnected from daily living. Then I discovered Charles Bukowski. It was like a bucket of cold water thrown in my face to wake me up. Here is a narrative poet, in the tradition of Homer, who writes so vividly about his own life that you can feel it, taste it, smell it, laugh and cry over it. His poetry is gritty, dirty, and sometimes obscene, but always real. And beautiful.
on 4 December 2017
Bought as a gift and the recipient loves it
on 21 June 2017
Great book for cheap but a bit grubby.
on 3 March 2018
Item as described. Thank you!
on 7 September 2013
Better enjoy Bukowski's humor and sarcasm sitting down rather than on horseback... Always love his poetry, rather better than his novels. Cannot go wrong with Bukowksi if you can appreciate his raunchy style and sarcasm.
on 26 January 2016
Gritty , soft, moody , real and dreamlike all at once.
on 23 April 2016
Item as described. Buy with confidence
on 1 June 2015
Love the book!A must have for every generation
on 13 April 2018
Another great one by Bukowski.