on 1 May 2017
Wow this book literally changed my outlook on life. I've read several books of a similar ilk but this one was the one I literally couldn't put down until I'd finished, and just made me believe so much more. Ironically I'd been delaying reading it as I thought it might be difficult to read or relate to, but I was stuck in from page 1.
on 19 August 2017
in last 30 years or so my thought process is heavily influenced by scientific reasoning and fact based discussions. This book has challenged my ideas about spirituality and how self réalisation through Yoga can transcend human beings. It makes you wonder why we exist and what is he purpose. I had to finish reading this book because each chapter opened new avenues and kept amazing me to wander into the world of spirituality. You don't have to suspend your reasoning or judgement to read this book but you have to converge spiritual and physical world as a one realm to understand deeper meaning of this amazing book.
on 21 October 2017
I read the book many years ago and I still believe that this is one of the best books that I have ever read... however, this audio book is even better as Ben Kingsley takes the guesswork out of the pronunciation of those difficult-to-pronounce Indian words. Mr Kingsley’s voice is rich, full of character and the perfect choice for this book. Buy it, sit back, close your eyes and be transported back in time...
on 17 April 2014
Published in 1946, this is still the primary text for introducing Westerners to the Yogic tradition.

Yet its most influential teachings have yet to gain the traction they deserve, not least the beginnings of those things which were subsequently written in a short book declaring (i.e. bringing to peoples attention) the (great) underlying harmonies between Christian and Hindu scripture. A disunity has prevailed (in all this time since '46) due mainly to sectarianism.

We are all sons of God, and some closer to God than others; of those, a handful left us inspired truths. One was PY, let not the points of reference he passed us be wasted, left between covers in the lobbies leading to trendy yoga halls.

[Other than that, I would recommend this 'Blue' cover version (over the orange pocket book). It is larger and somehow a more appealing book in its feel and design, more aligned with what's within]
on 17 April 2014

on 13 September 2017
Love this book, however I don't like how it was read. All monotone no change in the narrator's voice so get confused with characters. It's only because I read some of this book before that I could catch the gist of story, otherwise I found my mind wondering off while listening
on 25 September 2017
I am still reading it and I love it already. I am certain I will read it many more times. For me it is a wonderful book to assist us with our spiritual awakening. I feel so blessed and happy for this book.
on 14 January 2017
This 1 star is not for the content of the book as i haven't read it! It's for the edition of this book. The text is far too small and everything is cramed together - no page breaks in paragraphs or even for the start of a new chapter. I bought 2 books - 1 for myself and another for a family member. Waste of money. Will look for a different edition.
on 18 August 2016
My absolute favorite. Read it years a go and always buy it again to gift to others! A really nice book for anyone who's on the spiritual path or who's interested in mysticism, saints and/or Indian philosophy. Very easy to read and it is just like reading a nice story.
on 14 June 2016
A breathtaking trip through a great Yogis life, does not attack or belittle any other faith and is a really amazing read. So many great teachers and storeys, wish I had met him in person though.
Wish I had read this years ago!