Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 March 2014
I can remember one of the theology lecturers at my college WEST describing a certain commentary as 'solid' and then adding that it probably means it's as 'dull as dishwater'. Although I would not like to level that accusation at those who seek to explain theology to us I would add to the plea 'please do it in a way that we can all understand'. This is probably a theological masterpiece, but those of you who have read former reviews of mine know that I have a very low tolerance for commentators who have an overreliance on heavyweight theological jargon and am afraid this is the problem here. I use this when I was writing an essay on the 'Mediatorial kingdom of Christ' and how it is realised at this particular time. I enjoyed writing the essay but I found reading this incredibly hard work and was pushed to get much from it. That is not to say that there are not some very good things here, after all the work of Vos is highly respected in theological circles, but it takes an incredibly fresh mind or one that works more efficiently theologically than mine to get much from this! It's very much a product of its time so if I could I'd probably give it another half star for content, but defiantly not for readability!
on 9 August 2013
Here we have one of the great old Prinston teachers. This work is superb in its explaining Pauline eschatology. Its a must read, for serious students of of New Testament theology.